Canard is a flexible and versatile theme perfect for magazines, news sites, and blogs. It lets you highlight specific articles on the homepage and balances readability with a powerful use of photography — all in a layout that works on any device.
Featured Content and Featured Images
When your front page is set to show your latest posts, you can prominently display up to five posts in a crisp grid. Use it to make sure your best articles get noticed.
To set up the Featured Content area:
- Navigate to Customize → Featured Content.
- Choose a word to use as your Featured Content tag and add it in the text field. We suggest using a lowercase, single word, like featured.
- Click the Publish button to save changes.
- Create at least a few posts. For each post you’d like to feature, use the Tags & Categories area of the editor to add the tag you chose under Customize → Featured Content. With this theme, you can also tag pages to be displayed as Featured Content, in addition to posts.
- Add a featured image to each post or page you’re featuring.
Canard displays posts’ Featured Images prominently in both the Featured Content area and above post and page titles in the normal layout, quickly grabbing your readers’ attention.
Canard supports three Post Formats: Image, Gallery and Link. Each post format has a unique style touches to distinguish it from the rest.
Canard can display up to four Custom Menus: one in the theme’s header (Primary Menu), two above the header on large screens and above the footer on small screens (Secondary and Social Menu) and one in the footer (Footer Menu). Footer, Secondary and Social Menus only support top-level links; sub-menu items aren’t displayed. To set up your menus, go to Menus from your site dashboard.
Canard allows you to display links to your social media profiles with perfectly-sized icons. Learn how to set up your social links menu. Linking to any of the following sites will automatically display its icon in your menu:
- Email (
- RSS Feed (urls with
Canard offers two widget areas, which can be configured in Customize → Widgets:
- An optional sidebar widget area, which appears on the right.
- An optional footer widget area.
Canard supports the Site Logo feature. To brand your site and include your own logo, navigate to Customize → Site Title, Tagline, and Logo and upload a logo image.
Canard comes with one theme option in the Customizer:
Show author bio on single posts: Tick this box if you want to display the author bio in the sidebar on single posts, as seen on the demo site.
Quick Specs (all measurements in pixels)
- The main column width for posts is
- The main column width for pages is
- A widget is
- Featured Images are