After activating Soho, start customizing the theme under Appearance → Customize. You can change the background color and header text color under Appearance → Customize → Colors. You’ll find theme-specific options under Appearance → Customize → Theme.
- If you need more help please ask your questions in the Soho support forum.
Go to Appearance → Customize → Site Identity to upload a logo image, which will appear above the site title in the header area. You can optionally hide the header text.
Home Page Template
As you can see in the theme demo, we have set the homepage to be empty. To set this up:
- Create a new page and assign it the “Home Page” template under Page Attributes.
- Set your new page as a Static Front Page under Settings → Reading.
Custom Menus and Social Icons
Soho comes with two Custom Menu locations, which can be configured via Appearance → Menus.
- Email (mailto: links)
- RSS Feed (urls with /feed/)
On single posts and pages, the Featured Image will be used as the background. If you don’t want a background image, don’t add a Featured Image to that page or post. You have also the option to disable all background images in Appearance → Customize → Theme.
On the front page, you can embed a YouTube video or an image slider as the background.
To embed a YouTube video in the background of the front page, go to Appearance → Customize → Theme. Add the YouTube video URL in the field and the video will play in the background. You have also the option to mute the video.
Alternatively, to have an image slider as the front page background:
- Navigate to Appearance → Customize → Featured Content.
- Enter the name of a tag.
- Click the blue Save button at the bottom.
- Create a post with a featured image; the suggested size is at least 1200x500px.
- Give the post the tag you declared under Appearance → Customize → Featured Content.
Mobile note: if you opt to use a video, keep in mind that background videos don’t work on mobile devices. For this reason, we recommend setting up an image slideshow as well, so mobile users will see a slideshow instead of a blank screen.
Portfolio Page Template
Soho takes advantage of the Portfolio feature. In the WP Admin dashboard, first add some projects, then create a new page and assign it the “Portfolio Page” template under Page Attributes to see your Portfolio in action. Learn how to enable and set up the Portfolio feature.