After activating Rosalie, head to the Customizer to start personalizing your site. From here you can configure the menu, header, background, and widgets. You can see changes right away in the live preview, so it’s easy and fun to play with your settings. The changes won’t be applied until you click Save & Publish.
Create a custom menu and add links, pages, categories, tags, or posts. Assign the menu to the Primary Menu location, and it will appear in your site’s navigation bar.
Social Links Menu
Rosalie also has another menu which you can use to display social icons.
- To add a footer menu, go to Customize → Menus and add a new menu.
- On the right side of the Menu page, click the Custom Links menu item to add to your social links.
- Add the URL for each of your social profiles, along with Link Text to label the link. Rosalie will automatically detect which site you are linking to and display the appropriate icon. Icons are available for the following services: CodePen, Digg, Dribbble, Dropbox, Email, Facebook, Flickr, Foursquare, GitHub, Google Plus, Instagram, LinkedIn, Path, Pinterest, Pocket, Polldaddy, Reddit, RSS Feed, Skype, Spotify, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, Twitch, Twitter, Vimeo, Vine, WordPress, and YouTube
- Once you’ve created the menu, you can assign it to the Social Links Menu in the Theme Locations section.
- When the menu is ready to go, click Save Menu.
For more, check out the full guide to setting up a Social Links Menu.
Custom Header Image
To change the Custom Header, go to Customize → Header Image. Pick an image from your Media Library, or upload something new.
Your site’s title will be displayed in the header area. You can easily replace this text with your own logo or custom image in the Customizer. Go to Customize → Site Identity and upload a new image.
You can customize your site’s background via Customize → Backgrounds & Colors. Choose a background color, or upload your own background image. In order to keep the text readable, we suggest a lighter background image.
You can edit widgets in Customize → Widgets. Rosalie offers five widget areas: the Main Widget Area, three optional Footer Widget Areas, and a Prefooter Widget Area, perfect for featuring your Instagram feed using the Instagram Widget. If you don’t add any widgets to the sidebar or footers, the area won’t be displayed.
Featured Content Slider
To show the Featured Post slider at the top of your front page, choose a specific tag and assign it to up to ten posts that you want to display in the slider. Add the tag you selected under Customize → Featured Content.
The Featured Images for posts in the slider must be 1140px wide by 500px high. Since the Featured Images are displayed quite big, make sure your images are large enough. You can reduce the file size by compressing and saving them at a lower quality.
Sticky posts get a special treatment that makes them get the full content width. You can set one or more of your posts as “sticky” by following these steps.
You can hide certain elements using the checkboxes in Customize → Theme Options. Use this to stick the header menu to the top of the page, hide featured images from posts, or hide the social menu in different locations.
In the Customizer’s Theme Options panel under Blog Layout, choose from one to three columns for your site. This layout will apply to archive pages as well.
You will find the Post Format module in the left-hand column of your post editor.
If you start a new post containing a gallery, video, or audio track, Rosalie automatically will take the first media embedded in the content and feature it at the top of the post on the blog page. You can always choose “Standard” if you prefer the default layout.
The Full-Width Template does not have a sidebar, so your content stretches across the full width of the page. It’s perfect for showcasing videos or images.
To set up a Full-Width Template, first create a new page. Select “Full-Width Page” as the Template under the Page Settings section, and click Publish.