Motif is the perfect business theme. It’s highly flexible, with a clean design optimized for viewing on any device.
Front Page Template
The front page template offers three sections to highlight your content:
- A featured area with a large featured image, and an overlay containing the page content.
- Two widget areas that allow you to add a selection of widgets, which are displayed in two columns.
- A testimonial area that displays two randomly-selected testimonials, to keep it fresh and interesting.
Follow these three easy steps to add a front page to your site:
- From My Sites, go to Pages and create a new page or edit an existing page. Then, in the Page Attributes module, assign the front page template to the page.
- Go to Customize → Static Front Page and set “Front page displays” to “A static page.”
- In the dropdown menus, select the page you just assigned the front page template to in Step 1 as “Front page.” Choose any of your other pages as “Posts page:” this is where your blog posts will be displayed.
Motif supports a custom header image that you can use to upload your own logo. You can choose to display the header text or hide it.
To upload your image, go to Customize → Header Image. The maximum size of the image is 320 x 110 pixels.
Full-width and grid page templates
The full-width page template doesn’t have a sidebar, so it features an even larger content area. It’s great for showing off your best content.
The grid page template is ideal for showcasing your products, presenting your team members, or displaying your portfolio items. Once you assign this page template to a page, you’ll need to create and publish sub-pages (or child pages) for the grid to appear. The featured image, the title, and an excerpt from each sub-page creates a grid item.
The grid page template shows the title, featured image, and excerpt of each of its child pages. For best results, use excerpts when you create the page content.
Motif features testimonials in three ways:
- The Front Page Template displays two randomly selected testimonials.
- The dedicated testimonial archive page displays all testimonials in reverse chronological order, with the newest displayed first.
- The Testimonial Shortcode allows you to display the testimonials wherever you want on your site.
To add a testimonial, go to My Site → Testimonials → Add. Testimonials are composed of the testimonial text, the name of the customer — added as testimonial title — and an image or logo, which can be added as a Featured Image.
Testimonial Archive Page
Where is the Testimonial archive page?
Let’s say you have a WordPress.com site at:
The URL of the testimonial archive page will be:
This page can be further customized by adding a title, intro text, and featured image via Customizer → Testimonials. This content will appear above the testimonials list.
Motif offers six different widget areas:
- Main Sidebar widget area which appears on the right on pages using the default template, including blog pages.
- Three optional footer widget areas displayed at the bottom of the page.
- Two optional widget areas on the front page template.
Customize even more
Motif supports Custom Backgrounds, enabling you to use a color or an image of your choice as the background of your site.
Additionally, if you buy the Custom Design upgrade, you can change fonts and color settings so that your site visually matches your brand’s look.