Grid View/Post Navigation
Your readers can choose to browse your posts in a sophisticated grid rather than the standard list view by clicking on the grid icon in the site navigation.
If you’d like to make grid view the default, go to Customize → Theme and check “Display posts in a grid by default”.
You can also use the navigation arrows on either side of the grid icon to scroll to the next or previous post.
Note: The instructions from this guide sometimes refer to the WP Admin dashboard. You can get to this dashboard by adding
/wp-adminto the end of your site’s url (e.g.: example.wordpress.com/wp-admin)
Espresso takes advantage of the Portfolio feature on WordPress.com, offering unique layouts and organization for your portfolio projects. Learn how to enable and set up this exciting Portfolio feature.
Once you create a project, you can use the portfolio shortcode to display it anywhere on your site. Adding the
[portfolio] shortcode to any post or page will insert your project.
Portfolio Page Template
This template will display your portfolio and allow you to set your portfolio as your site’s front page.
When you first activate Espresso, you’ll see your posts in a traditional blog format. If you’d like to use the portfolio page template as the front page of your site, follow these steps to configure:
- Create or edit a page, and assign it the Portfolio Page Template from the Page Attributes module.
- Go to Customize → Static Front Page and set “Front page displays” to “A static page”.
- Select the page you just assigned the Portfolio Page Template to as “Front page” and set another page as the “Posts page” to display your blog posts.
Where is the portfolio archive page?
Along with the Portfolio Page Template, your projects will be displayed on portfolio archive pages.
If you’d like to add your portfolio archive page to a Custom Menu, create a custom link using the portfolio archive URL.
You can customize the portfolio archive page by changing the title, adding some content, and uploading a featured image. To do so, go to Customize → Portfolio.
Include your business’ logo by going to Customize → Site Identity and uploading a logo image in the space provided. The logo will appear above your site title in the header; it can be any size, but will display at a maximum height of 175 px.
Espresso looks its best when you assign a Featured Image to your posts. Featured Images appear above the post title, or as a background to the post information in grid view. We recommend images that are a minimum of 1440 px wide by 550 px tall to get a clear, crisp picture.
- Create a new Custom Menu, and assign it to either of the Social Links menu locations.
- Add links to each of your social services using the Links panel.
- Icons for your social links will appear in the navigation bar, or behind the menu button, underneath the main navigation menu.