The File block allows you to add a link to a downloadable file on your site. You can use the File block to link to images, docs, videos or any other file you want your visitors to be able to download from your site.
To add the File block, click the + Block Inserter icon and search for “file”. Click to add the block to the post or page.
Using your keyboard, you can also type /file on a new line and press enter to quickly add a new File block.
For more information, visit our detailed instructions on adding blocks.
When you first add the File block into your post or page, it will look like this:
- Click Upload to upload a file from your computer, or Media Library to add a file you’ve already uploaded to your site.
- Navigate to the file you want to provide a download link to and add it to the block.
When you’re done, you will see a link that uses your file name, and a button labeled Download next to it.
Click the file name to change the link text, or click inside the button to change the button text.
When you click on the block, a toolbar of options will appear above or below it:
The File block has the following options in its toolbar:
- Change block type.
- Drag the block.
- Move the block up or down.
- Replace – replace the file with a new one
- Copy URL – copy the URL or link to the file. If you want to be able to link to your file in a different style, like on an image, use this option to get a copy of the link’s URL.
- More options.
When you select a block, you will find additional block settings in the right sidebar. If you do not see the sidebar, you may need to click the Settings icon in the top-right corner to bring up the settings. This icon looks like a square with two uneven columns:
- Link to:
- Select Media file or Attachment page from the drop down
- Open in new tab
- Show download button
- Advanced settings
In the block settings sidebar, click on the Styles icon to access the design settings for the block. The Styles icon is in the shape of a circle with half of the circle filled in: