You can import your existing Medium site to WordPress.com using the steps below.
All of your Medium content will appear as posts on your site under the original date of the post, along with their original tags. Also, published posts will be automatically marked as published on the site but drafts will remain unpublished.
In this guide
You’ll need your content from Medium in a downloaded file before you can proceed. You can follow these steps:
- Log into your Medium account and visit the Settings page.
- Scroll down to the Download your information section.
- Select Download .zip and confirm by choosing Export.
- A link to download your archive will be sent to you by email when it is finished:
If you’re exporting a Medium “publication” instead of a normal Medium site, the procedure’s a little bit different – you’ll need to ask the Medium support team to create the backup file for you. They provide the file in two different formats, HTML or XML – it’s the HTML version that you’ll need for WordPress.
- Go to Tools → Import:
- Select the Medium importer.
- Upload the Medium file you downloaded from Medium to start the import:
- Select Continue once the file has been uploaded. The import will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. You will receive a notification from us when the import completes.
You can also run the import tool multiple times to retrieve newer posts without duplicating your old ones.
- Connect a domain: Connect your domain from another provider or register a new one.
- Learn about WordPress: Visit your Getting Started page for a simple and clear tutorial on how to get your site running as quickly as possible.
- Join a webinar: You might be interested in one of our free getting started webinars to help you learn how to use WordPress.
- Customize your theme and design: You can customize the design of your site by picking one of our post-format-enabled, blog-ready themes.
- Post to your blog by email: To post by email, you just need to generate an email address for your blog within your dashboard and then you can get started right away. Our post by email guide will walk you through the process. You can add galleries, tags, videos, slideshows, polls, and so much more, all via email!
- Add video to your WordPress.com site: We support adding videos from a variety of sources, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Ted, Flickr, and many more. Furthermore, you can get the VideoPress feature, included in the WordPress.com plans to upload your own videos directly to your site.
- Upload or embed other file types: WordPress.com has support for a multitude of file types. Additionally, you can embed documents within your posts as PDFs.