How much will it cost? Who will you hire to do it? How long will it take? Creating a website for your startup business comes loaded with questions and can feel like a daunting task.
Establishing an online presence is crucial for every modern company’s marketing and sales success, so skimping on a website isn’t a risk that you can afford to take. This means that you’ll need to forge ahead and figure out how to get everything done on a budget. Here’s some good news: compared to what you’ve already accomplished in order to launch your startup, creating a website can be a piece of cake (if you make smart decisions up front).
If you don’t have a technical background or experience building websites, you might feel inclined to hire a professional. While effective, it can cost thousands of dollars and take a long time to complete. There are several other factors to consider when hiring a professional developer:
- How will you handle ongoing site maintenance and updates?
- Will your site have reliable security measures in place to protect your business and clients?
- What happens if the person or firm who built your site goes out of business?
Instead of paying thousands of dollars to hire someone to build your website, there’s another path to consider.
1. Build a website using WordPress.com
According to W3Techs, WordPress powers more than 30 percent of the world’s websites. You can use WordPress.com to confidently create your own website. The solutions to just about any issue that you might encounter have already been documented by other WordPress.com site owners. Even if you have no experience building websites, WordPress.com makes the process user-friendly.
The added benefits of creating a WordPress.com website for your startup business include:
- Cost: Depending on what you need your website to do, the cost can range from nothing, to a few hundred dollars (a fraction of what it would cost to hire a professional to build your site).
- Security: WordPress.com has best-in-class security tools built in to stay ahead of any threats.
- Expert Support: If you need help, WordPress.com’s Happiness Engineers are just a click away and have the answers to most questions or concerns you might come across.
2. Get started with instructional resources
Are you the type to assemble a new gadget without looking at the instruction manual first? That doesn’t always go as planned, and some people end up reading the instruction manual and reassembling the gadget anyway.
The same principle applies to website building. Before you begin, refer to WordPress.com’s helpful tutorial.
3. Use a theme that conveys your purpose
WordPress.com offers hundreds of website themes, which are professionally designed templates catered to fit the needs of most businesses.
Once you select a theme, customize it with colors, a logo, header images, and more. Also, begin to add original content to your website. Your theme will come with setup instructions to make these customizations more streamlined.
Do you want to grow your startup into a successful company? That doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll outgrow WordPress.com. In fact, many of the largest companies in the world use WordPress, including Forbes, UPS, and TechCrunch.
After you finish creating a website for your startup business, focus on growing it into the high-impact company of your dreams.
Thousands of small businesses and online stores call WordPress.com home.
Whether you’re looking to promote your business or share your story, we have a plan that’s right for you.Create your own website