In this article
The “night mode” trend boosted the popularity of darker interface designs for phones and operating software to websites and apps. Not only have some web designers found darker designs more stylish, they’ve also discovered creative ways to use them to enhance the user experience.
Let’s take a look at the history of the trend, whether it’s right for your brand, and how you can apply a dark website design to your WordPress.com site.
Nowadays, a website in “dark” or “night” mode design favors the use of light-colored text and images on a dark background. Black serves as the primary color, giving the site a sophisticated, serious tone. It can be used to draw visitors’ attention to the elements you wish to highlight — sort of like a call to action.
While dark website design can be attractive and professional in some cases, it isn’t always going to be the best option. Consider the following factors before overhauling your site’s look:
- Minimal written content: if your website is heavy on visual media, like images and video, but light on text — like many art or portfolio websites are — a dark design may help you present those visuals in a more modern way.
- Dark brand colors: if your brand uses dark tones as part of its official colors, a design matching those tones will create a cohesive link between your brand and its online presence.
Updating your site’s appearance and giving it a sleek, dark design can be as quick as selecting and customizing the right theme. To get started:
- Log into your WordPress.com account and click the Themes button that appears in the left-hand navigation menu. This will bring you to the Theme Showcase.
- To filter themes, click on Style. Then click Show all to reveal all 40 style categories.
- Finally, select Dark to view the free and premium dark website designs available to you.
Take advantage of the Try & Customize feature to get a live preview of what any given theme would look like on your website. To access it, just click on the three dots in the lower-right corner of the theme’s thumbnail.
When you find a look that’s right for your site, click on Activate & Publish (or Purchase).
Whether it’s light or dark, your site’s design should energize your visitors and get them interested in seeing more. Dark website designs should be used to highlight images, buttons, or to complement your brand colors — but not on text-heavy sites like news publications. Not convinced about making the switch just yet? Check out Designer Daily’s post on dark website design.
Thousands of small businesses and online stores call WordPress.com home.
Whether you’re looking to promote your business or share your story, we have a plan that’s right for you.Create your own website