In this article
Your WordPress tagline and site title are some of the first site elements that your visitors will see. Good taglines and titles will let those users know exactly what your site is about.
Here’s everything that you should know about a WordPress site title and tagline, including what they are and how to set them up.
Your site title is a short line of text that introduces your brand and the primary topics of your site.
Some site-title best practices include:
- Making sure it’s the same name as that of your business.
- Having it resonate with your target audience. For example, a website titled “Paleo Recipes Log” would likely appeal to people who are interested in the paleo diet.
- Getting creative and inventing a completely new word; “Google” is probably the best example of this.
Your website tagline expands on the site title and provides more context to your visitors. This can help them determine what your site is about, and is especially useful if your title uses an invented brand name that doesn’t carry much meaning by itself.
Here’s an example from a website you might be familiar with:
“The Free Encyclopedia” is a great tagline example. Even though people are fairly familiar with Wikipedia at this point, the tagline explains what the website is for those who might still not know.
From a visual point of view, the tagline often sits somewhere near the main site title and logo (though not all WordPress.com themes display it).
There are two main reasons why you should pay attention to your site title and tagline:
- Having a good title and tagline quickly introduces visitors to your site, which greatly improves their overall experiences.
- Your site title and tagline are also very valuable from a search engine optimization (SEO) perspective. Just as your visitors look at a site title and tagline before anything else, Google does the same thing. If you use valuable keywords within your title and tagline, you’ll improve your chances of being ranked favorably by Google.
If your site runs on WordPress.com, making your title and tagline is a straightforward process.
Log into your profile and click Settings from the main sidebar menu.
You will see the main settings panel, where you have the option to set your site title and tagline.
Make sure to keep both the site title and tagline brief. Aim for maximum meaning with minimum length.
When you’re done, click Save Settings.
At this point, your site title and WordPress tagline should be visible on your homepage, as well as in the HTML source code of your website.
Photo Source: Unsplash
Thousands of small businesses and online stores call WordPress.com home.
Whether you’re looking to promote your business or share your story, we have a plan that’s right for you.Create your own website