In this article
Are you trying to figure out how to make a phone number clickable on your website? If not, maybe you should be.
Why? Well, consider these statistics:
- 92 percent of young adults (under 30) and 75 percent of adults (over 50) own smartphones, according to Phys.org.
- Marketing Land reports that 56 percent of all web traffic is generated through mobile phones.
These statistics mean one thing: people will visit your site using their mobile devices. If your business relies on inbound phone calls to make sales, book appointments, or communicate with customers, assume that mobile visitors will want to call you directly from your website.
The alternative is hoping that people will remember your number or will write it down on the back of a lunch napkin. Rather than requiring customers to take this extra step, make placing phone calls simple with a single tap on a screen. Don’t worry, setting this up is a straightforward process.
Let’s assume that your website theme doesn’t have a clickable phone number function built into it. It’s up to you to make a phone number clickable on your site.
You can add a clickable phone number anywhere on your website, depending on your preference.
- Header or footer sections: Your header section (the very top of your website) or footer section (the very bottom) are great places to place a clickable phone number if you want that number to be easily found no matter where a visitor looks on your website.
- Pages: You can place your clickable phone number on specific pages of your site, such as a “Contact” page or an “Our Services” page that encourages visitors to call for more information.
- Posts: You can include your clickable phone number in a specific blog post if you want someone to call you immediately after reading certain content.
No matter where you place a clickable phone number, the steps for configuring one are the same.
- Go into Editor mode: If you’re adding a clickable phone number to a page or post, select the Text Editor where you can edit the HTML code, not the typical Visual Editor where you cannot see HTML code.
- Copy and paste the following code:
<a href="tel://+1XXXXXXXXXX">+1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX</a>
- Change the code to reflect your phone number: Replacing each “X” with a number from your actual phone number. For example, if your phone number is 888-555-1111, then you would edit the code to read:
<a href="tel://+18885551111">+1 (888) 555-1111</a>
If you live outside of the United States, replace the “1” with your own country code.
- Save and publish your changes, then test: After you save your changes, make sure the number on your site is clickable and working properly. Visit your website on a mobile device and click the number to make sure it works.
There are a few final questions to ask yourself when creating a clickable phone number.
- Do you want a Call Now button? If you have a WordPress.com website and you want to add a prominent “Call Now” button that no one could miss, upgrade to a Business plan if you don’t already have one, and install the Call Now Button plugin.
- Did you choose the best size and placement for your clickable number? In web design parlance, a clickable phone number on your website is known as a “tap target.” If you want to read up on the best practices for tap target size and spacing, Google offers a quick overview to make sure your number is both easy to see and to tap.
That’s it! Now you know how to make a phone number clickable on your website, and your site visitors can easily place calls to get in touch.
Thousands of small businesses and online stores call WordPress.com home.
Whether you’re looking to promote your business or share your story, we have a plan that’s right for you.Create your own website