Zero to Hero: Day Twenty-Nine

• Author

NOTE: Zero to Hero forum threads will close after five days. If you’re just starting out, welcome! Feel free to visit a more recent thread to say hello, ask questions, or seek feedback. Happy blogging!

Day 29. Or, as the cast of Les Miserables would say: one day more.

As we wrap up, we want to leave you set up to continue growing as bloggers. Today, you’ll think through your editorial calendar, and, if appropriate, add a regular feature to your blog. Check out the full guidelines on the Zero to Hero main page.

Use this space as a place to ask questions and seek feedback from fellow bloggers, or just to talk about blogging, why you’re here, and how your month is going.

Please refrain from posting links to your blog unless you’re seeking feedback — this is a place for discussion. Irrelevant comments and spammy links will be deleted. Instead, give your posts the “zerotohero” tag to enable other participants to find you.

The Daily Post has a weekly open thread on Sundays called “Community Pool,” for peer feedback. If you’re looking for general feedback on your blog or feedback unrelated to this challenge, please visit that thread.

pkanwar1983

Some issues still unresolved…on day 27 forum I asked this

how to set the the preview size of my slideshow gallery format…the slideshow area seems huge and the pictures are proportionately quite small when I see the preview of the post on my home page. However once I open the post everything is fine…so any help or am I sounding too confused? see for yourselves…

the actual post is at
    http://lenzexperiments.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/on-yellow-photo-challenges/

The preview at the home page here looks funny
    http://lenzexperiments.wordpress.com/

@timethief asked me to checkout support links I did check out the link but still nothing on the resizing of slideshow in preview mode. If you see on the homepage the size of the slideshow in the preview for this particular post titled ‘On Yellow and Photo Challenges’ has a big grey block but the photos are small sized whereas on the actual post it is fine.

Am I getting worked up on a minor technicality? Any help? I want to add posting slideshow mode photo galleries as a regular feature but this glitch is putting me off a bit….help?!! Someone….anyone…

gabrielwqh

I was just thinking about something like this the last few days!

I’ve decided that, to start off with, I’ll be doing a “Weekly Obsessions” post every Sunday to talk about stuff that has been hogging my attention in the past week. Will be doing the first one this Sunday!

Check it out soon at http://www.thegreatgabsby.wordpress.com

ps. I’m also aiming to do at least one Top Ten Tuesday (a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) a month, provided they have topics I can write about.

maraeastern

Well, I do have an editorial calendar already — regular features for three days of the week (haikus, quotes and Caturdays) — and it works very well for me. Highly recommend!

Surprisingly, it’s not even too time-consuming to manage, the posts can be scheduled in advance and posting a quote, a short poem, a picture etc. doesn’t take much time.

Editorial calendar is really useful to smash down your inner enemy. A friend told me: “What’s not in the calendar will never be done.” He is right. Especially in phases where you are ruled by laziness it’s good to have a “prompt” in your calendar or a draft in the drawer.

Well, by joining the 52 ancestors in 52 weeks–I’ve already assured my readers that I will post one genealogy blog post about a family member once a week this whole year! That’s extremely regualar for me! But in response to or assignment yesterday,i realized my most popular blog posts were about abstract ideas–or even better to “feel good”posts–which is why I did another post today that is simply a “feel good” one! I’m thinking about incoporating that idea into my blog permanently, and start writing motivationally! i used to be a psychologist,and I was a public speaker–so I can perhaps, write about motivation to get our lives going–to flourish!–to be happy. so now I’ve got two subjects to develop regularly–the ancestor stories,andthefeel good posts! Sounds like an editorial plan to me! Excited! Helen

pkanwar1983

@helenholshouser
    Loved how you laid it out….and music and dancing gets everyone’s motors up and running! Looking fwd to the ‘feel good factor’ calender..

pkanwar1983

The Daily Posts photo challenge and prompts have been a regular for me….I’ve been building my blogposts around those….I’ve added some other photo challenges to my calender recently….I think I’ll go slow on my next planned move…don’t want to take something on that I wont be able to keep up with…
    @luthersjournal
    I’ve been trying but somehow its only the prompts that getting these lazy grey cells ticking!

anamelio

In this day and age when almost everything is digital, I am still old fashioned and prefer a paper calendar. Gives me more accountability, especially since I always forget to pick up some white out :D. But, today’s mission is complete, yay!

captjillf

So far I’ve just been posting whatever I find interesting to post. No set schedule. I’ve been toying with the idea for a while now. I was thinking of doing some sort of Creature Feature, with pictures and/or news and information about things associated with the ocean. I might even make it even more general since I have lots of personal photos of all kinds of things (not just from the ocean- actually I don’t have many personal photos of sea creatures, but I see some really beautiful stuff out there). Would it be better to use just my personal photos or post about interesting stuff that I learn about?

Just finished day 27’s task and I think I am finally happy with my widgets. I have been learning how to create different social media buttons via a text widget. There are more creative ones out in the blogosphere, but I think I am happy with the overall look of the blog now. Any feedback appreciated

As for this task, I have been spending a little time giving all the social media tools I use a similar look and feel to the blog. Does anyone use a kind of editorial calendar that considers updates for all social media tools as well as the blog? If you do, what works best for you? I want something that has great impact without taking too much time to implement.

anamelio

@cogitoergomum I do. It’s a calendar I made myself and I have space to jot down note where do I promote the blog post in question. I also have a separate list for Twitter hashtags that I use as well as rely on Buffer to schedule updates for Twitter/Facebook couple of days in advance.

birgerbird

May be a little ambitious . . . .

birgerbird

but I’ve got a draft calendar

@anamelio Thank you. That is very helpful.

timethief

@birgerbird
    I’m blushing.

birgerbird

timethief

@birgerbird
    I even became teary-eyed. Thanks so much for the positive feedback. It feels great when I find someone liked a post of mine enough to backlink to it in a post of their own, thereby recommending it to others. {HUG}

P.S. I just act like a tough cookie. I’m actually the softer kind but I’ve had acting lessons and they empowered me. I’m even into improv comedy now and some folks think I’m good at it or else they are indulging me but I prefer to think it’s the former.

birgerbird

@timethief . . . I know exactly what you mean about the feedback, it really makes my day too. I’ve always preferred soft cookies . . . almost like raw dough actually. But I like some ascerbic wit, strength and humor woven in . . . that’s you plus more I’m sure!

timethief

@birgerbird
    Oh so you can detect I have previously excelled in, sarcasm and tough love. I’m now at the stage in my life where I am slaying my ego. The inner brat does not like being ignored – yeah know? I’m modifying her behavior so she can express herself via other forms of humor but it’s a struggle for sure. ;)

The topic ‘Zero to Hero: Day Twenty-Nine’ is closed to new replies.