Youtube embedding suddenly not working the way it used to work for me

• I woke up this morning to find that none of the vides that I’ve embedded in my blog were displaying properly. Over the course of the day I learned that there was a new (to me anyway) embedding feature, that the old embedding code didn’t work, and that I’d have to fix all of my 1,300 posts by hand.

I hope at least some of what I learned isn’t true :)

Here’s a single blog post to give an example:

3d printing ideas to explore math with kids

The video in the first section (“Archimedes’s proof relating the volume of a sphere, a cone, and a cylinder”) displays just fine and is embedded with the code I’ve been told to use:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSKwjhis1A ]

There are several other videos in the blog post embedded with the html code that seemed to work just find up until today. The one in the second section is embedded with this html code and is not currently displaying:

[embed]

[/embed]

Any ideas about what changed or why the prior code stopped working today?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• dang – the embedding code isn’t displaying properly in the above post. Should be as outlined below with “>” and “<” symbols reversed

>div style=”text-align:center;”<
    [embed]

[/embed]
    >/div<

• Thank you @mjlawler . We’ve reached out via email as well & will be working to resolve this.

• I tested the following just now and it did not work for me:

[embed]

[/embed]

However, putting the whole thing on the same line did work for me:

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1QF0IN6vE[/embed]

So on a first check from my testing, it *seems* like you may have been using the first version above (the embed in three separate lines) and that may not be typical but somehow was magically working before but stopped. It could be a quick fix or it could be a case that something changed and no one knew to check the first syntax since it wasn’t the recommended syntax. We can check on it for you though! It’s super helpful to have a specific example, thank you for posting that.

Cool site, btw!!

• I actually just realized it’s not even whether it has embed tags around it or not. If *anything* precedes the youtube (or any other embed) link, it doesn’t embed properly.

We’ll be working on this and will update you. Thanks!

• Supernovia said, above:”If *anything* precedes the youtube (or any other embed) link, it doesn’t embed properly.”

Sounds like the same issue as I am having, described here (ignore the reference to Gutenberg!):

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/i-think-activating-gutenburg-caused-flickr-linked-images-to-break/

• @mjlawler this should be fixed now. Please let us know if you still see any previously-working embeds on your site that’s still broken, and please include a link to the posts in that case.

@gribinisaf
    , following up in your thread.

• @kokkieh indeed: all fixed. Thank you so much!

• Thanks all. If anyone else runs into further issues on this, please let us know; for now we’re marking this as solved.

Have a great weekend!

• Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for fixing this strange problem so quickly. It is a big relief to see everything working fine again. I really appreciate the work you all did from start to finish on this.

• Thanks again for alerting us, @mjlawler!

• The topic ‘Youtube embedding suddenly not working the way it used to work for me’ is closed to new replies.