Writing post in right-to-left languages (Hebrew, Arabic)

• When I write a post in Hebrew I have to change writing direction to right-to-left for each paragraph separately.
    I want to set the default writing direction for all blog posts to be right-to-left.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

>When I write a post in Hebrew I have to change writing direction to right-to-left for each paragraph separately.
    I want to set the default writing direction for all blog posts to be right-to-left.

To do so, please change the language from language setting. Here is the support document for you: https://en.support.wordpress.com/language-settings/.

Hope this helps! :)

• The language in my settings is Hebrew (he). It does not work. Still the default writing direction is left-to-right, as in English.

• Hi there,

>The language in my settings is Hebrew (he).

Did you check if this language is in the blog language setting and not only in WordPress.com account setting? Please remember you have to change it in the Blog language settings.

There is a language setting in the accounts sections of your WordPress.com account also. However, making any language change here will not reflect on your blog/website.

To do this, you have to visit My Site -> Settings (given at the end of the left panel appearing on the dashboard) -> Language Settings (given below Site Title and Site tagline).

See this for more details: https://en.support.wordpress.com/language-settings/

If this doesn’t help, let me know. I’ll be happy to help you.

Thanks!

• “Did you check if this language is in the blog language setting and not only in WordPress.com account setting?”

I don’t know what you mean…
    I went to Setting->General settings->language – it is “he” (Hebrew) there. Doesn’t work.

Then there is “account settings->interface language”. This is En (English). I want wordpress menus and interface to be English, only blog posts in Hebrew.

• Hi @jacobress,

I agree with you.

I tried with Persian and as you said, after every paragraph or after every ‘enter key’, right-to-left (RTL) is lost and you have to set it manually.

I tried with “Switch Direction” extension on Google Chrome on Ubuntu for RTL typing. After every ‘enter’ hit the RTL changed to LTR.

I’m adding ‘modlook’ tag to this thread, so someone from staff looks at it and forwards it to the development team.

It’ll be helpful to have the alignment persist.

– regards

• Hi there,

Then there is “account settings->interface language”. This is En (English). I want wordpress menus and interface to be English, only blog posts in Hebrew.

The editor is part of the WordPress.com interface, not part of your site, so it works based on your interface language. If the interface language is set to English, the editor will default to LTR.

The Site language setting only controls what translation of the theme is used on the site. It doesn’t influence how the interface behaves.

We do have an open issue to add a button to switch text direction directly to the editor, though I can’t promise if/when that will happen.

• The topic ‘Writing post in right-to-left languages (Hebrew, Arabic)’ is closed to new replies.