WordPress not secure?

• Author

mdtay11
    Original poster

I keep hearing that WordPress is not secure, or less secure than other options. Is this true? I have no specifics, just rumors. I am not interested in moving to another hosting service, but I would like to know what my risk is.

The blog I need help with is: theseekerblog.net

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

WordPress is very secure, but can be made insecure by users who don’t follow best practices.

The WordPress software open source, and is maintained by the community who created and who use it. We’re speaking of people who make their living of creating websites using WordPress, and who sell premium products for WordPress sites. It’s in their best interest to make sure any security vulnerabilities are patched as soon as possible. This year alone there have been two security patches already as new vulnerabilities came to light.

What makes WordPress sites insecure is if site owners don’t install those security patches, and if they install plugins or themes that are themselves insecure.

But none of that is an issue on WordPress.com, where your sites are hosted in any case. Here on WordPress.com we make sure that the software running your site is always up to date. It’s not possible to install themes and plugins that can add vulnerabilities to your site, we block the types of code that can potentially be used to inject malware into your site, and we have very good anti-hacking measures in place. The only way someone can gain access to your WordPress.com site, is if you’re careless with your passwords or leave your account logged in on a shared computer.

I hope this puts your mind at ease, but please ask if you have any more questions.

You can find information on the steps you can follow to make your account more secure here:

Security

The topic ‘WordPress not secure?’ is closed to new replies.