WordCamp 2007

• Get your tickets now. :)

Per Matt

WordCamp 2007 will be on 7/21 and 7/22 in San Francisco.

edit: If anyone from staff sees this, do we have any details of like where in the city it will be? Like for booking a hotel room, which airport, etc.

Regards,
    -drmike

• Also, cost, how to register, etc?

• I believe it was free last year.

It got announced like three weeks before the event last time and I couldn’t go.

• San Francisco is full of tourists in July and getting a last minute room would be a hit and miss situation, let alone, one within walking distance of where the actual camp will be held. If someone undertakes prior planning, organization and registration then the required number of rooms can be booked within walking distance at hotels/motels. Likewise airporter buses, etc. can be arranged in advance and public transit schedules can be mailed to participants in their information packages.

• Or we could just attempt to crash with our bloggy friends. Hmmm, who has strings I can pull…

• The whole thing comes down to advance organization. With previous planning in place maybe some billeting can be arranged and maybe catering for meals at camp headquarters or group dinners at restaurants, etc. can also be arranged.

• No, that’s not what I’m talking about, and I don’t think it’s what WordPress is up for. I don’t think they’ve got the administrative resources to coordinate something like that, or the ambition to take charge of it. WordPress itself is anarchic and I would expect a blogging gathering to be much the same.

As for me, I’m emailing some Bay Area pals.

• It wouldn’t have to be taken on by someone at wordpress. There are companies that organize conventions, etc for other people all the time. The company is paid a negotiated fee by the hotel and doesn’t charge the client.

Just FYI

• WordPress itself is anarchic

omfgwtfbbqrotflmao

*ahem*

no, actually wordpress is very hierarchic. disorganized and chaotic would work in the place of anarchic, though. as much as anarchic is a nice insult, it’s not true.

for a more positive word, you might try ‘decentralized’.

• Hey d00d, I’m an anarchal communist: I don’t use the word “Anarchic” as an insult.

Now I’m totally insulted.

• anarchic would be an insult to an organization, no matter how communist/populist it’s goals.

anarchic wouldn’t be an insult to a person.

• /nod to judyb12
    IMO the success of any informational/learning experience “camp” or “workshop” hinges on organization of the entire event and not just securing a headquarters and contracting speakers. The best speakers in the world can be lined up but if you don’t arrange for someone (or contract with someone) to organize affordable accommodation, transportation and food for your participants then the experience will not be as rewarding as it could have been.

• And furthermore – if there was a modicum of assistance, support and planning, WP might be surprised by a huge turnout. It could be a lot of fun.

• “Anarchic” wouldn’t be an insult to an organization unless that organization self-identified with hierarchicalism. Some of the most effective work groups and organizations in the world are anarchic. Believe me, I know how I intended the word and I didn’t intend it as an insult; as you’re not part of the so-called hierarchy, you are not authorized to take insult anyway.

• Also; by leaving these housing, transportation, etc arrangements up to the attendees WordPress is selecting (deliberately or unintentionally yet systematically) for independent, self-directed people, who are the sort of people that are Wordcamp-positive. If you’re looking for structure and you function best within set, known parameters, this might be an inappropriate event to attend. So in that way it works.

• Rain’s totally insulted?!?!?!?

Oh wait, wrong thread. :)

Actually it was my understanding that it was well organized. The only major issues were that I heard of was that they had too much freebies at the end (ie food and tshirts) and the moderators for the “moneytizing your blog” group got shouted down.

• For independent/free-spirit who wants to go to San Francisco in July, sans sardine-packer tour operator: SF loaded with accommodation, from B&Bs, 5-star to mod-price hotels, Youth Hostels and Ys –ALL parts of the City.
    Airport shuttles: relatively inexpensive. (Ask hotel: if they have a shuttle.)

Food: nearly any price, any ethnic variety –from kosher Jewish delis, authentic Japanese, Moroccan, true Russian bakeries, $10. world’s greatest hamburger (Perry’s, Union St.) to 5-star haute cuisine, outstanding sandwich shops (Financial District) to maybe greatest Chinatown outside of (duh!) China. If one is likeable: natives Might tell –which bars serve trays of hot appetizers–free–with that wine/micro brew. Do Not eat: any thing at Fisherman’s Wharf. If several want delish large inexpensive dinner together, without fuss/dress up: Basque Hotel (wear very comfortable shoes).

Transportation: Bank presidents, CEOs to waiters use east-west and north-south buses, electrics, whiz by every :03 to :15; cable cars: wharf to North Beach (–GREAT Italian; coffee; silence) to Market Street. Visitors who get on cable cars at rush hour: NOT looked at kindly.
    Thinking of renting a car: think some more. Or: raise credit card limit before departure; expect it to be towed; street parking: last space taken decades ago.

When packing think quote attributed to Mark Twain: “The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco.” Believe it.

• YAY poppy! There’s all the right stuff! :D

• What is the *wear comfortable shoes?* .:)

• That means “walking and standing” too much ;)

Trent

• The topic ‘WordCamp 2007’ is closed to new replies.