Will WordPress.com Get A (RE)CAPTCHA Option In The Future?

• Hello,

I was wondering if WordPress.com will one day get a RECAPTCHA or CAPTCHA option to help fight spam/bots or is there an option for this already?

I know that Akismet helps but it is not enough, when I started on WordPress.com I got thousands of spam/bot comments until I enabled this option:

“Users must be registered and logged in to comment.”

In the two years since using this setting I almost get no spam now, but this limits who can comment to only WordPress.com users.

(RE)CAPTCHA combined with Akismet seems like a better approach to me in fighting against spam/bots, while allowing more people to be able to comment.

Thank you,
    -John Jr

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Probably not, because it’s long since been cracked.

• It is better than nothing and they do have new versions (SQUIGL-PIX & ESP-PIX), and they do make improvements to current CAPTCHAs; but you are possibly right about them not adding it to WordPress.com, since it has not already been added in all these years. ;)

• Well, poor mobile user then if its come true.

• Oh please God…noooooo not the dreaded, evil Captchas. It’s bad enough trying to comment on Blogger when doing Blog Hops. I don’t want them anywhere near WP thanks.

• goodjohnjr, we are aware of your request as it is in our Ideas forum. There is no need to continually abuse the modlook tag.

• thistimethisspace · Member ·

Please do not put that @#%^& thing on our blogs.
    The 10 point case against CAPTCHA use > http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2010/11/14/the-10-point-case-against-captcha-use/

• I had no idea that anyone from the WordPress.com Team knew, and I was not sure what happened to the modlook tag; that is why I added it again, I was not sure if it was a glitch or something.

Thank you for letting me know that you know, I wish someone would have told me early. ;)

@goodjohnjr
    I’m visually challenged. A lot of us are and CAPTCHA use is a barrier to us.

• For those who do not want CAPTCHA, remember I am only asking for an Option, for those who want it; so that those who do not want it, do not have to use it. ;)

Thanks for your response. This is an accessibility issue for the visually challenged and I wanted to be sure you knew that and you knew that Akismet which presents no accessibility issues is by far superior to recapatcha and cpatcha.

• No problem, I can understand. ;) (I have bad eyes)

I think that Akismet is good at identifying spam, but I would just like an extra layer to help block the common spam that fills my spam folder whenever I disable the setting that only allow WordPress.com users to comment; most of that common would never get through, and few that might would probably get categorized as spam by Akismet. ;)

I usually try to do security in layers.

• Don’t worry about your spam folder, comments in there are automatically deleted after 15 days.

• I messed up the part after the semi-colon (I have too much noise/people talking around me, I am sick, et cetera), it should read: most of that common spam would probably be stopped, and the few spam comments that get through would probably get categorized as spam by Akismet. ;)

• I have a bad habit of checking that everyday and clearing them/checking them/reporting them to anti-malware companies; but that is good to know. ;)

• Using Akismet only is the easiest most automated approach & does not bother the user, at the small cost/chance that a non-spam comment gets spammed & lost forever unless one checks the spam folder regularly, but that chance is rare; and so when thinking about it in terms of keeping things more automated & simple, this approach makes more sense, than my layered approach option.

So I agree with you now, and I will mark this topic as resolved; thank you everyone for commenting. :)

• The topic ‘Will WordPress.com Get A (RE)CAPTCHA Option In The Future?’ is closed to new replies.