Will hiding display of tags impact search engines?

• Now that I have my blog where I want it, I have an option vis CSS to completely hide the tags from being displayed below the blog post. If they’re removed, will this in anyway affect search engine’s ability to pick them up?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• It shouldn’t because search engines read your blog/site in “raw”; in other words, they read it as though your blog had no CSS.

• OK thanks. What’s the code that controls how much space or gap between posts. I’ve removed the display of categories and tags and there’s now a wide gap I’d like to reduce.

• If you want to see what the search engine ‘sees’ in your blog. Register to google webmaster tools, which also will help keep a monitor what google is doing with your blog. (Configure: http://en.support.wordpress.com/webmaster-tools/)

Then select your blog and fo into google webmaster tools dashboard page . From the left menu select Labs -> Fetch as Google bot , enter your blog/post url and get a view of the webspider.

Else if you are using GNU+Linux and have some text browser, like lynx, installed you can use it to get a view too.

• Very interesting. Thanks @phoxis

• Very nice, Shim! By adding the “, .tags, .categories” to share the same properties of “#searchform, #subnav”, ect., I see you’re coding efficiently. Nicely done.

One small thing, though. I see you have this in your CSS

#content cocde {
    background:#F5F5F5;
    display:block;
    margin:0 0 15px;
    padding:10px 20px 0 15px;
    }

I don’t know what you’re trying to do but that currently is doing nothing to your layout. Why? because you have “cocde” as a selector. I search the markup and couldn’t find a Class nor ID with such name so, unless you meant to do something else, I would recommend removing it since, like I said, it’s doing nothing to your layout.

Now, personally, I think the gap looks just right, but here’s the code to make it smaller:

.post-meta {margin-bottom: -20px;}

20px is a suggested value, you’ll need to play with it till you find one that you like best.

• Thanks again. I use -25px. The “cocde” is what I pulled from the original stylesheet …

#content cocde {
    	background: #F5F5F5;
    	margin: 0 0 15px 0;
    	padding: 10px 20px 0 15px;
    	-moz-border-radius: 3px;
    	-khtml-border-radius: 3px;
    	-webkit-border-radius: 3px;
    	border: 1px solid #E6E6E6;
    	display: block;
    	}
  • No problem.

Again, the code is really not doing anything. If you remove it, you’ll notice that there will be no change at all on how your blog looks because the selectors are not targeting anything at all. The way “cocde” appears there is as though the selector is for a markup element (XHTML tag) which, in reality, does not exist.

Having “cocde” is clearly a mistake either from the original theme author or the person who ported this them for WordPress MU.

• “this them” should read “this theme”

• Actually incorrect. Removing “cocde” changes the background to gray, pushed the body downwards and to the right and as a result of that leaves a white border on the top and left of content box. I’ll leave things there long enough for you to look at and will reinstate that piece of code on your reply knowing you’ve seen it (easier to let you see the change than me trying to describe till I turn blue) :)

• I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear enough. I meant remove the WHOLE block, not just “cocde”:

#content cocde {
    background:#F5F5F5;
    display:block;
    margin:0 0 15px;
    padding:10px 20px 0 15px;
    }

I use the Web Developer tool to see changes on they fly and I did remove the “cocde” bit only and the layout looked as you described it. I really don’t understand why that piece of code is in the original CSS even. Is not doing anything at all.

You know? I will send support a ticket so they can take a look at it, it really shouldn’t be like that.

• dang, support is closed so I’ll just send it on the 28th. I will also mark this as modlook just in case someone from staff reads the forums.

• This block comes right after the #content blockquote block and is almost identical to it. “cocde” is a typo for “code”: defines the appearance of content enclosed in code tags.

• Roger that, Devblog. I’m in kindergarten ClaSS and don’t know better but have surprised myself how much I managed in such a short time (at the expense of sleep loss, increased caffeine) but then a pro photographer’s life is exactly that too.

• You are doing a great job, Shim!

Panos,

Excellent catch. I guess I’m just too tired. I thought it was a truncated (and misplaced) HEX code… I will just go to bed and get some sleep… *sigh*

• BTW, Shim, I love photography; it’s one of my dearest hobbies. I’m not an expert much less a pro, but I’m learning. Whenever you have a chance, if you don’t mind, check my photoblog out (just click my username). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• I have in fact checked out your photoblog and the first thing I noticed (noticed the same on other blogs too) is how you got the “in memory of” ribbon. I think I have seen this on a WordPress.com blog too.

I’m 100% Canon if you haven’t already noticed that. I like your landscape photos and these are some really nice location I don’t get unless I travel. You seem to be doing OK and we could take this offline and not bore people to death with photo talk here. I can be reached on FB, MSN, Yahoo and Google IM .. feel free to drop me a mail if you want to connect http://shimworld.wordpress.com/contact/

• Thank you, Shim. Will do.

Thank you, Hanni.

• Oops, I forgot to say – all done – thanks devblog!

• The topic ‘Will hiding display of tags impact search engines?’ is closed to new replies.