Widget or iframe

• Author

farelthegiraffe
    Original poster

Hello, I just got a job, and already I’m being asked to do something big, namely convert an entire website into WordPress.

Sadly I’ve had very little experience with WordPress, but my coworkers had none, so I’m given this task.

Yes, yes, I know, I should go through tutorials, learn the ropes, but that could take months, while the client is waiting, so please… if anyone could, then help me out.

And now, here’s the problem:
    The original site uses PHP and Javascript. It uses 2 input tags to put in the info required, and there#s a third one in form of a button, which sends data to a Javascript file, which then, based on the values which were put in, prints out a series of links underneath.

I was told that I could probably use iframes or widgets to solve this problem, but Im unfamiliar with both of these, so I do need to know how to do this.

I’d really appreciate any input regarding this.

Thank you!

supernovia
    Staff

Hi @farelthegecko, actually our servers don’t support third party iframes or outside JavaScript. Are you planning on hosting it here or installing your own copy?

If you don’t mind sharing a public link to that site so we can see the form, I may be able to tell you whether we could do something similar on our servers.

genemonkey

I have a similar issue. I’m trying to install a widget from http://www.wikitree.com and it has been suggested I install this iframe plug in – https://wordpress.org/plugins/iframe/

I went to the plug in page but it says ‘Uploading your own plugins is not available on WordPress.com.’

What should I do to be able to embed the widget from Wikitree?

supernovia
    Staff

We aren’t able to use iframes or scripts here from outside sources. But what does the widget do? I may be able to help you do something similar.

genemonkey

I’m trying to embed these in a post – https://www.wikitree.com/treewidget/Coat-12/1000

farelthegiraffe
    Original poster

ffine… I’ll say it
    […]

My company has a client, for whom they made this website before, and now all of a sudden the client is interested in switching over to WordPress, and this is the website where I was told that this is definitely the hardest to implement, so I, as the most knowledgeable person in terms of WordPress (most knowledgeable in a very relative sense…. ) was tasked to figure out if this could be put into WordPress

the site features a calculator, where you put yearly usage of electricity, your postal code, and whenever or not you are a private person, or a company. Clicking the button transfers the data to a function within a php file, which then transfers the data to another php file, which then puts the data into a SQL query through the company database, and ends up listing all possible options that such a client qualifies for, and the sum of money that he/she would have to pay.

I did a lot of research, and was told how iframes or widgets could kind of do this, and it got really confusing with the official wordpress code site saying that WordPress does not support Javascript nor iframes, but… then some sites talk about how widgets are above that, hence why I tried learning how to program those, but …… I’m simply getting so frustrated, that I made this topic wondering if this is at all possible, because the code for this function is not so easy for me to understand (I didnt write it after all)

So… is this a go, or no-go?

supernovia
    Staff

Thanks @farelthegecko, I’ve removed the link for you. We don’t have a function here that would do that.

You could definitely do that on your own WordPress.org installation, though. You’d probably want to write your own plugin so you would only need to enter that shortcode wherever it’s needed. Or if it’s needed on many pages, you could put it in a template in a child theme instead.

There’s a lot of information out there on how to do that, or you might check for a local WordPress users group to see if someone there could help you get up and going: http://wordpress.meetup.com . It is definitely a learning curve, but WordPress is by far the most popular CMS on the web, so whatever you learn while working on this will probably help you in the long run, too.

Also, while these forums for WordPress.com are not ideal for you (since you would need your own custom installation instead of our service), the WordPress.org community has a lot of great info: https://wordpress.org/support

supernovia
    Staff

@genemonkey that’s really cool :)

We don’t support that here either at this time, but since it’s something I could see a lot of folks asking for, I will file a request and we’ll see if it gets more interest. Its authors would need to create an oembed version of their code, too.

In the meantime, while it’s certainly not the same thing, you could take a screenshot of one of those trees and embed that image in a post. The link could go to the corresponding page on wikitree. Let me know if you need help with that.

snootyjudy

what about flipbooks. I’m tryinf to put an online magazine inside of my portfolio but it includes an iframe… any solutions for that?

supernovia
    Staff

@snootyjudy flipbooks also aren’t supported here, but I will file your request. Also, to clarify, do you mean flip?

The topic ‘Widget or iframe’ is closed to new replies.