Why does my custom Publicize message say "published an article" on Facebook?

• Author

dmmoore

The Facebook Publicize settings authorise WordPress to “Post on your behalf”. So, when I’m creating a new WP Post, I define the Facebook custom message… “If you want people to lay their cards on the table… http://wp.me/p3zQBb-eD“. This should appear in Facebook as “David Moore shared a link…”
    However, when this WP Post get published, it changes the custom message to “David Moore published an article on WordPress.com…” And it does not have the customised message.
    Why doesn’t WordPress just do what it says, and make a Facebook Post on my behalf?

The blog I need help with is dmmoore.wordpress.com.

eurello
    Staff

Hi Dave – The custom message controls the slug that shows just above your post on Facebook. It doesn’t change the byline, which will always show the “David Moore shared a link” text. There isn’t a way to change that, but you could share your posts on Facebook manually if you don’t like the byline.

dmmoore

Hi,
    You said the byline “will always show the “David Moore shared a link” text.”
    But that’s the problem… It doesn’t.
    It says “David Moore published an article on WordPress”.
    Why does it say that?!

eurello
    Staff

Hi Dave – Sorry, I mistyped. It will always say ‘David Moore published an article on WordPress.com’ if posted via publicize, and ‘David Moore shared a link’ if you manually share the link.

dmmoore

Ok, thanks. But my question still feels unanswered…

Why? Why does it say that? Help me understand why WordPress has made this pretty significant decision!? We live in a world of Social media and a change like that matters.

So why has WordPress changed what it posts?

eurello
    Staff

Hi Dave – Ok, I understand now. I’m not sure exactly when the exact wording of the credit changed, but I’ll pass along your feedback that you prefer the old wording.

If you share your posts manually to Facebook instead of using Publicize, no byline appears at all.

The topic ‘Why does my custom Publicize message say "published an article" on Facebook?’ is closed to new replies.