Why are there ads on my site?

• My WordPress blog is my professional portfolio site. I do not want ads. Who put them there? How do I get rid of them? How do I prevent this from happening again? I need them off ASAP.

Thanks

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• WordPress.com has been running advertising on our free hosted blogs since 2006. Many bloggers do not know this because despite the fact they ticked the box required to get a free blog, they did not read the ToS. Many also do not read features page, or advertising entry in the support documents after registering their username and blog(s). Also note that as the ads do not display to us when we are logged in, and as many use browsers with ad blockers when logged out, they may not realize they are there at all. The only way to get rid of all advertising on our free hosted WordPress.com blogs is to purchase an annually renewable No-Ads upgrade.

• I too have this problem! I guess I missed the disclosures – I don’t think they were very obvious – but regardless, I’m reluctant at this point to pay for an additional upgrade.

WordPress indicates that they ‘sometimes’ place these ads… Can anyone tell me what that means? How often, and for how long? Should i pretty much expect that I’ll always have these ads now?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• I’m sorry but we Volunteers don’t know how frequently ads are displayed on any blog, or where they appear and for how long. Only Staff can answer those questions so I’ll flag this thread for Staff attention.

• Thank you so much, timethief!

• Staff have historically been reluctant to go into details of how ads work here, and will instead use vague terms like ‘limited’ and ‘discreet’ (which they appear to define slightly differently to the rest of the English-speaking world) so you are best off assuming the worst.

• To support the service (and keep free features free), we sometimes run advertisements, and the agreement for this has been in our terms of service since 2006.

At this time, the ads are mostly YouTube videos which are usually US television commercials (or extended versions of such).

We try hard to only run them in limited places. If you would like to completely eliminate ads from appearing on your blog, we offer the No-Ads Upgrade: http://en.support.wordpress.com/no-ads/

• I paid for my year subscription for my .com. I would have hoped that with my paid subscription. I would have some kind of option. My website is now ugly because of it.

http://fashion-whipped.com/

• The domain name/domain mapping upgrades are just what they are. They do not include the no-ads upgrade.

• I just found out that advertisements have been placed on ALL OF MY POSTS!!! I guess that was part of the deal, but it fucking pisses ME OFF!!!! Don’t hide that in the middle of a disclosure statement. Put in out in plain sight so I know what I can expect. You don’t need to bury it somewhere so I don’t notice it.
    I can pay to have a site anywhere I want. If you are going to “add” these commercials, then let me know so I can either move, pay for the upgrade, or live with it, but don’t “slip them in there” so I can find out later that I have been promoting something I don’t want to support.
    Bad. Bad. Bad.

• I noticed the terms that said there would be ads when I signed up. It should be assumed that you pay for the service somehow, with money, or ads. How else do you think they can pay the electric bill?

• I strongly agree with rhanw. I’m certainly glad to hear that some folks did see the terms about the ads – but for me, new to this, or for whatever other reason, I did not. Again, they’re not very obvious.

I also understand that bills need to be paid. But allow us to make the decision consciously as to how we want our blogs to appear, rather than slipping the language in so we’re unpleasantly surprised when the ads show up. Timethief indicated that this has been going on since 2006 and that “many bloggers don’t know this…” Fair enough, but PLEASE CORRECT THAT! If you know people are missing the disclosure, and have been for years, why not make it front & center?

• “why not make it front & center”
    Are you kidding? They don’t do that because it would drive some prospective users away. Front & center you only read what’s “fabulous”.

• The topic ‘Why are there ads on my site?’ is closed to new replies.