Whatsapp sharing

• Author

kshiprabhat

Hello, how can I enable whatsapp sharing on my blog? Thank you!!

The blog I need help with is ikgb.wordpress.com.

doncharisma

If you mean “I want to add a sharing button for whatsapp, so that readers can share my content on whatsapp”, then WordPress.com doesn’t currently have that facility.

According to https://en.support.wordpress.com/sharing/ the following services have sharing buttons :

Twitter
    Facebook
    Tumblr
    Google+
    Pinterest
    Stumbleupon
    Reddit
    LinkedIn
    Pocket
    Press This
    Email
    Print

I may have misunderstood you, in which case please would you clarify exactly what you mean, and I or one of the others here may be able to help.

Cheers

Don Charisma

@doncharisma What she means exactly what you said – she wants to have a “share on whatsapp” button embedded in the post which will allow the reader to share the link directly to the app on mobiles.

sidenote: I am trying to do this too using HTML but I find that
    <a href="whatsapp://send?text=Hello%20World!"> is being stripped to <a href="//send?text=Hello%20World!" on publishing. Is this service call not allowed on WordPress.com?

Yes, I also wanted this. Please don’t strip out this basic whatsapp:// sharing feature as a lot of people are sharing nowadays on whatsapp, even more than facebook and twitter because it is like sending an sms.

siobhyb
    Staff

Hi there!

It’s not currently possible to add a sharing button to WhatsApp on WordPress.com, but I’ve shared your feedback with the team behind our existing sharing buttons and adding something for WhatsApp is on their list of possible projects for the future. Watch this space. :)

doncharisma

@siobhyb – thanks for answering :)

@pavanvasishta – I concur, and can’t see any way to workaround WordPress stripping the whatsapp … hopefully they’ll add a sharing button or at least the facility to specify whatsapp in links …

Cheers

Don Charisma

@siobhyb – Thank you for replying.
    I would, however, like to point out that there was a previous thread back in 2013 where the very same request was put forth. (https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/why-cant-one-publicize-to-whatsapp?replies=3#post-1440417)
    The reply was that it would be taken up in future updates.

I am sure there your developers are working towards implementing this. :) But, at the moment( as a stop-gap arrangement), is it possible to just tweak your code stripper settings so that the HTML tag is unmodified after publishing? :) It would really help us in promoting our content, especially in developing countries, where WhatsApp has a huge user base.
    Thank you for your time. :)

@doncharisma – I hope so too.

Cheers.

siobhyb
    Staff

Hi @pavanvasishta : I definitely agree that a sharing button for WhatsApp should be available, and I’ve brought this up for discussion with the team.

We have a great many features and projects that we’d love to implement straight away but we have to use our best judgement when prioritising our time on them. This unfortunately means that some new features can take longer to roll out. Although I can’t make any promise about when a sharing button for WhatsApp will be available, I can promise that we’re listening and passing along requests.

Yes pavanvasistha is asking just for one line modification to stop your code stripper form removing the “whatsapp:” code in the ahref tag which is not much to ask I think. I think that is a simple request because it is harmless code which cannot do anything wrong. So I hope you will consider it. Now since Facebook is integrating with Whatsapp too, Whatsapp is going to become more and more popular.

@siobhyb – Thank you very much for your answer :)

siobhyb
    Staff

Hi there!

I’m happy to report that you can now add a WhatsApp sharing button to your WordPress.com sites. :)

You can read the announcement, which includes a handy video for getting setup, here:

https://en.blog.wordpress.com/2016/04/13/new-on-wordpress-com-sharing-buttons-for-whatsapp-telegram-and-skype/

The topic ‘Whatsapp sharing’ is closed to new replies.