Weird followers

• Author

I’m so glad I found this thread! I’ve had 14 of these since Jan12th. Four yesterday, four today. I’ve been removing them manually.

This is happening to me too!! Glad I found this as well.

merrylark

I have several blogs and they are each getting several suspicious email followers. I delete them, but I hope WordPress figures out how to protect us from these soon.

timethief

@merrylark

There’s no need to feel that your site needs “protection” from spam followers. Removing spam followers is an inconvenience but spam followers pose no threat to your site at all.

How to Remove a Follower https://en.support.wordpress.com/followers/#how-to-remove-a-follower

sarahjft
    Original poster

Hello again, OP here… I’m still getting 3 or 4 ‘weird followers’ a day, but just now I got 2 weird regular followers (ie not email) and one of them just ‘liked’ a post from a while back. They are ‘admin’ whose gravatar pic is an earless cat – gravatar.com/mizawa7 and their blog posts are in Indonesian. Is this a WordPress admin person??
    The other is 20MinuteResults whose ‘great posts worth seeing’ are ‘earn money online’ and ‘make money with online pharmacy’.
    Both a bit dodgy looking and this definitely isn’t normal for my doggy blog where I normally know my followers from twitter or facebook and can pretty much count them all on 4 paws. New followers are a bit like hens teeth.

My question is why don’t they show up as visitors in stats? How do they follow without visiting your blog?

taraustralis

marlenemotley – excellent question!

Thanks taraustralis. Is it possible the e-mails aren’t originating from WordPress at all? I’ve had this issue with PayPal emails that didn’t come from PayPal. They do look ligit. I never clicked anything on them because I check my WordPress blog daily anyway. But there’s never any indication these people have been there at all. I find it creepy.

faithfruits

Suggest WP Happiness Engineers extract all @outlook.com email follows from all WP.com site in last 24-48 hours, looking at common themes across all sites and send the list to fraud people @microsoft through their abuse channels. Maybe then Microsoft can source account creation logs.

kungfunaomi

@marlenemotley WordPress probably already filters out bot traffic in your stats. My guess would be that the staff can see the traffic but you can’t because they filter it out for you. Just a guess though.

breezen

I too received seven of the outlook followers. I am only adding so WP can keep track of how many are impacted.

I know my blog is safe. Thank you WP

Have no idea what someone nefarious has to gain by following my blog. Really nothing. But we do live in strange times.

breezen

I too received seven of the outlook followers. I am only adding so WP can keep track of how many are impacted.

I know my blog is safe. Thank you WP

Have no idea what someone nefarious has to gain by following my blog. Really nothing. But we do live in strange times.

ismaeliea

Hi there, all!

Staff has already made sure that they will be making sure that this doesn’t happen.

Here is what a staff said in quotes, and their direct statement:

want to repeat that your sites and your personal info are in no danger whatsoever, and you don’t need to remove the spam followers manually unless you want to. (As we’re working on this issue we’re removing most of them from our end in any case.)

There is no way someone can harm you by following a public site, and the only possible benefit to these spammers is if you send an email to the address they used to subscribe, thus providing them with your email so they can spam you directly. As annoying as this is, the best course of action is to just annoy it, and we’ll hopefully be able to stop this soon – the developer working on this is very good at fighting spam.

That should make things easier.
    Again, your site and personal information are not in danger, so please don’t worry.

@faithfruits

uggest WP Happiness Engineers extract all @outlook.com email follows from all WP.com site in last 24-48 hours, looking at common themes across all sites and send the list to fraud people @microsoft through their abuse channels. Maybe then Microsoft can source account creation logs.

— We cannot do that, because some real followers may have a @outlook.com email as well, so we couldn’t do that.

mmxjones

I’ve also noticed them popping up for the past few days as well – just wanted to comment for the sake of track records, but I read the posts and appreciate knowing finally what’s going on.

Thanks!

adtperez

Also want to comment for the sake of tracking. I removed all my outlook spammers but have had one more add themselves today.

I have nine of these outlook followers.

I just went to remove the two new followers that I received earlier in the day and they are no longer showing in my list. Admins may have fixed the issue?

ksenniav

When I got one of these a few days ago I was just excited cos I thought someone had found me and wanted to follow my blog, so I logged in and made a new post.
    it was only over the past couple of days that I noticed the weird names and figured it must be some kind of scam. So I decided to google it to see what it was all about. I still don’t know unless enough peeps are emailing them back to make getting emails worth it. *shrugs*

The good news is I found this forum. I’ve been on wordpress since 2011, at least, and I never knew there was a forum!

ggreybeard

Would it be feasible for WordPress to include a “decline follower” facility on the e-mail which advises us of the new follower.
    The follower would be accepted by default unless the recipient of the e-mail actively declines.
    It would save everyone from having to check their lists before making a post.

I’m set up to get an email when I get a new follower (I counted 27 of them in my trash from the last few days). I’ve been going to my site and removing those outlook followers when I see those notifications and a couple of times today there have been “no email followers” when I get there. Maybe wp is catching up with them before they actually get on the email list?
    I’ve noticed there are batches of the same “first name” or whatever you would call it. Medina…, Gabalan…, Torres…, Domingues…, The rest of the address is different gibberish on each, but they start the same. Don’t know what difference it makes, but it suggests they are maybe coming from the same place, or the same random generator…
    I know they can’t get into any of my info by just following, but I’m removing them because I’m not keen on strangers (even if it isn’t a real person) snooping my posts or maybe getting to some of my other followers through their comments…? Anyway. I just feel better to remove them when I see them.
    Good to know there’s a bunch of us in the same boat.

The topic ‘Weird followers’ is closed to new replies.