Visual Tab default overwriting html fortmatting

• I have a creative writing type post I am going to post with unusual formatting. I am doing the custom formatting in the text editor tab. However, every time I open the draft it defaults to the visual editor and overrides the html tags I have entered.

Is there any way to avoid this? To set the default to the text tab? Or to prevent the visual editor from overriding the html tags?

Here is the post: http://smoothreentry.wordpress.com/?p=2756&shareadraft=5144cfa49bc30

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Blog editors and word processors are not the same and do not work the same way. The web standard is one blank line only, so you cannot add more blank lines by pressing return repeatedly like you would do with a typewriter or in a word processing application. If you want to learn how to format and space your posts and pages see:
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/writing-and-formatting-poetry/

If you are working in the Visual editor, to get single spacing between paragraphs hold the SHIFT key down and simultaneously click ENTER at the end of the paragraph.

If you are working in the HTML (Text) editor, a single click of ENTER will give you a single-spaced line, and two clicks of ENTER will result in double spaced lines. http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2011/09/13/wordpress-formatting-and-spacing/

P.S. When you create a new post, always make sure the Format tool is set to Paragraph before you start typing. It’s in the Visual editor Row 2 first position “style”. See the illustration here http://en.support.wordpress.com/visual-editor/#row-2 If you forget to do that then edit the post, highlight all in the Visual editor, select Paragraph from the Format tool, switch editor to Text then switch back to Visual and click Update.

• I am sorry if I missed the answer. How do I keep the visual editor from automatically overwriting what I do in the text editor.

EG:

1) I follow steps above and edit post.
    2) Later, I click “edit”, to modify post.
    3) The post automatically opens in visual editor tab, overwriting what I’ve done.

How do I prevent this?

• You have to do what I posted above.

• In case I missed something I tagged this thread for a Staff follow-up.

• Will you please tell us exactly which browser and version of it you are using?

• I am currently using Chrome version Version 25.0.1364.172 m.

Thank you for your help.

Specifically, the “ol” tag is the one that is automatically removed if I open the post in editor.

E.G.:

1) I use ol tags to indent repeated “I am a ghost and will haunt” lines.
    2) I later click “edit” to open post to make minor revision.
    3) Post opens in “visual” and autosaves.
    4) “ol” tags are automatically removed.

Thanks again for help.

• I do use multiple computers. If that is a factor.

• @smoothreentry, WordPress will filter HTML in posts, and anything that is going to cause your site to “blow up” will be stripped or will be modified to support web standards. Before they did this, we volunteers spent probably thousands of hours trying to help users fix their sites.

If you create a list in a draft post and then use the visual editor tool to set the list to the first level OL, then you put the cursor at the beginning of the next level line, and click the “indent” button. For a third level (from the first) you click the indent button twice. This is what the code would look like. The first line is normal OL. The second line would be indented one more level, and the third line is indented to the third level. Note what the code looks like. Note where the ending “LI” tags are in relationship to the starting LI tags for the second and third opening LI tags.

I would suggest using the visual editor and the OL and Indent buttons for any lists. They will create good code with proper syntax.

<ol>
    	<li>This is the first item
    <ol>
    	<li>This is the indented second item
    <ol>
    	<li>This is the third indented item</li>
    </ol>
    </li>
    </ol>
    </li>
    </ol>
  • Okay–that is a good suggestion. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it. Thanks to you both!

• If the Visual editor overrides the HTML tags you enter, this means that the tags you enter are forbidden or mistaken. For example, in the post you linked to you’ve got some ol tags that enclose plain text. These are wrong: ol tags are used in ordered to create numbered lists, and they should enclose li tag pairs. What exactly are you trying to do?

• I was trying to indent a paragraph. That is one of the recommended solutions as this is not easily done in poetry.

thesacredpath has good solution. it is done.

If you guys still want to answer questions I invite you to this post. I would still like to know if it does any good to modify tags in old posts considering new spandexing info I learned from Timethief. Also, does it matter if tags are plural or not…

• As I wrote above, ol tags are for ordered lists, not for indentation.
    See this post of mine:

Formatting text pt. 2: indents and blockquotes

• Yes, I had problems with getting &nbsp to work.

I like the way it looks now, whether it is sloppily coded or not.

• I”m not talking about the nbsp, I’m talking about the suggestions under
    “Single line indents”, “First line indents” and “Full indents”.

• As for your other question, there’s no rule about how many categories+tags you should use. Quoting an older staff reply:

There is no hard limit. You can use as many tags as you’d like. Somewhere around 10 is a fair number, but that’s just a suggestion. The more tags you use, the less relevant it is to each of them, and thus less likely to appear on some of those tag pages.

[https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/only-9-tags?replies=22#post-339427]

Two things to keep in mind:
    a) Never use the same word or phrase as both a category and a tag (you’re guilty of that). There’s absolutely no point doing this, plus you may run into technical problems when you do it.
    b) Search engines nowadays pay more attention to your content rather than your tags. Here’s Google’s Matt Cutts on tags:

• The topic ‘Visual Tab default overwriting html fortmatting’ is closed to new replies.