Views in reader

• Author

beenice2013

Hello WordPressers – is it just me that when I now preview posts in the reader they photos are now a cropped landscape as opposed to the full picture. Before I could see the whole picture which was great particularly when browsing tags such as the “Weekly photo challenge”. Now I have to click on each individual posts to see if it worth checking out the whole post and this is just too time consuming! Please could we go back to old format!

The blog I need help with is murtaghsmeadow.wordpress.com.

bythebriny

It’s not just you. I don’t like the new format either. It penalizes photography bloggers and others who rely on images to attract viewers to their blogs.

beenice2013

Exactly. I loved browsing through the weekly photo challenge just to see what I liked, now that isn’t really possible. I’ve found many of the bloggers I follow that way.

timethief

Are you aware that we can control the length of the entry sent out on your RSS feed here Dashboard > Settings > Reading? Choose the “summary” setting for your RSS feed rather than to “full text”. That will compel followers who are not using mobiles to click into the blog to read the full post which will create a page view stat.

I deliberately set my blog to display excerpts only on the front page and so do many other bloggers. Also, note that many themes automatically display only excerpts on the front page of the blog.

bythebriny

Also I just realized that the new view shows only the very top third or so of every photo, which is probably the worst way they could crop it. This doesn’t seem to be a very well thought out change.

timethief

I typed modlook into the sidebar tags on this thread for a Staff response. How do I get a Moderator/Staff reply for my question? https://en.support.wordpress.com/getting-help-in-the-forums/#how-do-i-get-a-moderatorstaff-reply-for-my-question Please subscribe to this thread so you are notified when they respond and be patient while waiting. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

bythebriny

@timethief, I have my reading settings set to “summary”, but that doesn’t affect how a photograph is displayed. Before, we saw the whole photo, now only a (badly) cropped version is shown.

beenice2013

Many thanks for tips

I see there is still not response to this query from any of the mods. This must be a change in which they are not willing to change back. Not enough people are complaining about it yet I guess. I dislike this change and would like to have it back the way it once was.

bythebriny

I am very surprised more people haven’t complained. I’m assuming the change was made to cut down on page loading times and/or fit more posts onto mobile devices; sucks for me I guess.

beenice2013

I am surprised more people haven’t complained but I too was thinking it was to fit more posts on page. A picture paints a thousand words after all and I really feel this is stop me finding new blogs to follow, and I am sure it will be the same for other bloggers.

bythebriny

It appears the issue is not affecting everyone, which would explain the low response to this thread. Unfortunately, for those of us who are affected, the usability and effectiveness of the reader has been greatly reduced.

timethief

I know you won’t like my feedback but here you go. I refused to follow photoblogs because I received HUGE images in my email and I did not want or need HUGE images in the Reader. Thumbnail sized images in excerpts are fine with me because I never full posts in the Reader. I can click into the site and create a page view stat when I view the full post and full-sized image.

timethief

Edit: because I never read full posts in the Reader.

bythebriny

@timethief

My interest is photography, so naturally I follow a lot of photography blogs. I’ve opted out of receiving email notifications of new posts, relying instead on the reader to keep up with new content. However, with the bottom 2/3 of images now missing, in many cases it is difficult to tell what the subject of a photo is.

For photographers, to whom visual composition is key, that is a problem. It’s different for writers, who are easily able to identify their subject and capture a reader’s attention with the first few words of a post.

A thumbnail version of a photo would be preferable to this unsympathetic cropping, if space or loading times are at issue.

bythebriny

Interestingly, the problem seems to be occurring in my Safari browser but not in Firefox. I don’t have Chrome so I can’t test it there. I guess for the time being I’ll be using Firefox for my WordPress viewing.

timethief

Interestingly, the problem seems to be occurring in my Safari browser but not in Firefox.

Now that is important information, for sure. You can update any browser version here http//browse.happy.com

timethief

oops! Here we go again http://browse.happy.com

timethief

Oh my! Can you hear me banging my head on the keyboard? lol :D

The correct link is http://browsehappy.com

timethief

Will the rest of you bloggers please make sure your are running an up to date browser version?

The topic ‘Views in reader’ is closed to new replies.