Utilizing Baskerville 2 Theme, using two pages yet cannot change sidebar widget content for each

• Hi! Hope you can help :-)

I am using the Baskerville 2 theme. Currently, I have two available drop-down menu pages on the homepage consisting of a ‘Part one’ (which are a series of posts that occurred in 2017) and a ‘Part two’ (a series of posts that will occur in 2019).

Here is my current URL: slickmeasure.wordpress.com

At the moment, when I enter the Navigation Menu sidebar widget, it allows me to place a sidebar and list posts of my ‘Part One 2017’ (a series of 40 posts) successfully. However, when I navigate to my ‘Part Two’ menu item, it shows the exact same widget with the old posts from 2017 listed. Meaning I would have to add the new posts to the list while still showing all of the old 40 from 2017.

I would like to only display the relevant 2019 posts on the Navigation sidebar widget for the ‘Part Two’ Page, and not show the 2017 posts.

Hope that makes sense! Could you please assist?

Thank you in advance!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi –

Do all of the part 2 posts have the same category assigned to them? If they all have the same category you could link that category in to a text widget. That would give you more control over what was being displayed, versus having the entire sidebar taken up by a list. Someone would actually click on that list, and then be taken to new page where everything using that category would be listed out.

Does that sound like a better option?

• Going to give that a try and let you know how it goes! Thanks for the reply, will keep you posted!

• Hi Again,

Thank you for the great suggestion! I gave it a shot by attempting to define two separate categories. While in theory it does do what I would like it to by narrowing the data, there seem to be two major drawbacks.

The first is that it seems that due to the sheer volume of posts I would have (40) for Part One listed when I choose a category, it takes a significant amount of time to load up the listing after choosing the category (in fact it took me typing this entire response to you with edits to finally receive the results!). I believe for sure that the load-up time is going to be a big drawback for the user experience (and my own sanity, lol)!

The second, is that the order of the posts appear chronologically (with the latest post on top). For the reasons of this website chronicling a series of events in order from when they began to then current day, it would be preferred if the results appeared in reverse chronological order. Which, it seems that I have no option to do. :-(

I really did like your suggestion, but it seems that the number of posts involved and the order in which they appear are complicating things.

Truly appreciate your time! Any other ideas? Wish each individual page did not need to mirror the same sidebar format across the board; that each could stand on its own :-(

• No worries! Try using the Display Post Shortcode in a text widget in the sidebar. It’s highly customizable.

• Thank you! That was definitely what I was looking for. Located a recent posts widget (on the actual “Page” page) that is pretty much customizable via category (which is what you were talking about), # of posts, and the order in which they appear. I will work on my arguments when I have more time to improve esthetics, but this will definitely work! Thanks again for the brainstorming :-)

• The topic ‘Utilizing Baskerville 2 Theme, using two pages yet cannot change sidebar widget content for each’ is closed to new replies.