Upgraded stats and changes to WP interface

• &All

Closing a thread without first listing where we go from there is not very helpful. If you are getting this by email, I suggest here. Thanks to Theo 48.

• Thanks, Graham. I so agree. If a thread becomes too popular then it gets closed down. Whether or not some of the followers/commenters find this one is hard to say.

Jeremy said it was because it was too hard to follow. I subscribed to the thread and read the comments as they were posted, not difficult at all.

• Another thought, this thread never did have a staff person read and respond to our concerns/complaints/suggestions.

• No. I only just just added added the tag “modlook”.

• Hi Everyone,

We did close the previous thread here:

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/stats-classics-how-to-set?replies=450

I’ll be posting a list of items we’re currently working on in that thread shortly and keeping it updated as we make some of the larger changes. While those involved with the thread from the beginning may have been able to follow along, a forum thread that is 15 pages long is difficult for anyone new that might want to hop into the conversation. It’s hard for them to see what has already been addressed and what will be addressed in the future.

If you have additional feedback that you feel was not addressed in the previous thread, you’re welcome to open a new one:

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/?new=1

• @jermeylduvall

This one will do nicely until you have developed a list, which you can post here. And, I think you will find, as did @deignsimply, that diverse threads are even more difficult to follow.

• @jermeylduvall
    The only blogger is this thread who have not posted into the threads that have been closed are:
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/profile/herpainandor
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/profile/wpteach
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/profile/piakdy

All of the other blogger who posted posted here have indeed posted into multiple threads one the same topic, have posted more than once into more than one thread and are saying the same things over and over again.

• Edit: “blogger is” above was meant to be bloggers in. I apologize for having a bad vision day.

• I just want to chime in that I strongly dislike the new stats page. The old one was absolutely fine. WordPress people, if it ain’t broke, don’t f%#k it all up! I made my own bookmark to the old stats page because it’s a pain to have to scroll down to the bottom of the new page time after time. PLEASE just put it back the way it was!

• @ fjordaniv,

and they call attention to the new interface by dumping us into the new dashboard at every turn (such as when I exit the customizer)

Does this really happen? I’m not getting dumped into the new dashboard at any turn, so I remain in wonder that others continue to describe such hijacking or redirection. I seldom visit the new stats page, and never do unless I click on “My Sites,” which I rarely find occasion to do.

• @jeremeylduvall

A couple of comments on the new Stats page for mobile, which supposedly the new format is optimized for. (I have an Android smartphone.)

1) The previous page had a “pull to refresh” bar at the top. The new page has no indication of how to refresh the stats. I only found out how to do it by randomly touching/dragging various parts of the display. It should be much more obvious to users how to find/use the refresh function.

2) The refresh function runs regardless of whether the page is showing today’s stats or past days’ stats. Unless something unusual has happened and the stats have changed, there is no reason to have a refresh function for stats from days that have already concluded.

3) The bar chart showing hits/views for past days is directly below where the “spinning button” descends to refresh the stats. If there is a tall bar for the day of stats directly below that spot, dragging the “spinning button” down more times than not hits that bar. The display then switches to refreshing stats for that day. This is incredibly frustrating if you are trying to refresh stats for the current day.

4) If the display is showing stats for the day in the centre of the bar chart (as it often does, as described in (3) ), there is apparently no way to go directly to the bar for the current day’s stats. You have to touch each bar in between the two before you can get to the last bar on the right. This also is very frustrating and a waste of time.

5) I hardly ever post videos on my blog and I don’t use Publicize, so the “Videos” and “Publicize” stats are of no use to me at all. Please give us the option to conceal or delete stats that we do not need.

• I am speechless that they closed the thread down with a simple six bullet point summation. WP has not dealt with the issues raised in the forum
    No one has ever yet explained satisfactorily why they stripped out previous functions and dumbed the whole thing down.
    If issues raised are ignored then I/we will continue to repeat them until there are satisfactory answers despite the attempts by some here to apply censorship and close the thread.

• @musicdoc1

Does this really happen?

The spark line in the admin bar will point you to the new stats interface. Perhaps that’s the section you’re referring to?

@fionamcquarrie

The previous page had a “pull to refresh” bar at the top. The new page has no indication of how to refresh the stats. I only found out how to do it by randomly touching/dragging various parts of the display. It should be much more obvious to users how to find/use the refresh function.

I just tested this out on the previous stats page on my iPhone, and it doesn’t look like it has a pull to refresh function either. Are you perhaps thinking of the mobile app stats page? Since that’s designed specifically for mobile devices, it does have pull to refresh. However, the classic and new stats pages are built for mobile and desktop displays (where pull to refresh isn’t an option).

The refresh function runs regardless of whether the page is showing today’s stats or past days’ stats. Unless something unusual has happened and the stats have changed, there is no reason to have a refresh function for stats from days that have already concluded.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the refresh function you’re referencing. Could you elaborate?

The bar chart showing hits/views for past days is directly below where the “spinning button” descends to refresh the stats. If there is a tall bar for the day of stats directly below that spot, dragging the “spinning button” down more times than not hits that bar. The display then switches to refreshing stats for that day. This is incredibly frustrating if you are trying to refresh stats for the current day.

If the display is showing stats for the day in the centre of the bar chart (as it often does, as described in (3) ), there is apparently no way to go directly to the bar for the current day’s stats. You have to touch each bar in between the two before you can get to the last bar on the right. This also is very frustrating and a waste of time.

Sorry – I’m still not sure what refresh action you’re referring to. Once we get this figured out, I’m happy to address all of your points above!

I hardly ever post videos on my blog and I don’t use Publicize, so the “Videos” and “Publicize” stats are of no use to me at all. Please give us the option to conceal or delete stats that we do not need.

Currently, you can conceal the unused stats items using the arrow on the right-hand side shown here:

http://d.pr/i/1jmN7

From my experience, if you collapse a tab on desktop or mobile, it should stay collapsed the next time you visit the stats page in that same environment.

• @jeremeylduvall

The refresh action I’m talking about is on the Android app. The top menu bar has bars that link to other site information on the left; a “Days” link to set the display by days, weeks, or months; and a stack of dots on the right hand side that links to “view full site”.

To refresh the stats display, you drag your finger down from the middle of that blue menu bar. A button appears with an arrow spinning inside it. When the button and the arrow disappear, the stats have been updated.

There is no (i) or blue arrow on the display like the one in your link above, so I can see no way to conceal unused stats.

• @jeremeylduvall

I forgot to add that, in order to make the refresh button “stay” on the screen and not bounce back up and disappear into the menu bar, it has to be dragged quite far down into the display. This is where the problem occurs with hitting the bar showing previous days’ stats, and getting those refreshed instead of the stats for the current day.

• @ jeremeyduvall,

The spark line in the admin bar will point you to the new stats interface. Perhaps that’s the section you’re referring to?

I don’t know what the “spark line” is, and hadn’t previously heard of it, so I was likely not referring to it. No. All I was saying is that numerous members have of the past several weeks, in various forum threads, complained, as fjordaniv did in the post I responded to, that they have been “dumped,” hijacked, redirected, or otherwise taken against their wishes to the new dashboard, the new stats page, or the Reader (the first of which is presumably a different name for one of the other two). The impression I get from numerous reports is that members find themselves repeatedly, routinely, and irresistibly transported to one of these locations. It seems odd, since the same never happens to me.

• musicdoc1, here’s a screenshot of the Sparkline: https://cloudup.com/cJAdCxlxwTt from another thread on the topic of Stats. (https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/what-does-the-stats-ticker-mean-in-the-wordpress-bar?replies=4#post-2032400)

If you click it, it takes you to the “new” Stats page, unfortunately. So, I never click it.

I believe many bloggers are clicking that Sparkline, among other links that take one to the “new” Stats and then they don’t know how to get back to the WP Admin. classic dashboard/administrative pages. Navigation is not well thought out here.

• @ dandelionsalad,
    Thanks. If I click on the blue “dashboard” tab near the top of the left admin panel it certainly doesn’t take me to any new page. Thankfully, it links to the classic dashboard.

• Where are you when you click the “blue dashboard tab”? You must already be on the classic dashboard, yes?

The problem is that many people are lost after arriving on the “new” Stats page.

• You must already be on the classic dashboard, yes?

Sí.

• The topic ‘Upgraded stats and changes to WP interface’ is closed to new replies.