Unified Navigation

• Author

murrayfoote

I use the Classic Editor because my workflow is not compatible with the block editor. I have worked out how to access it under the new changes but I have a couple of issues.

The main one is that when you edit an image in the Visual Editor, the checkbox [Open a link in a new tab] no longer works. You can click on it and check update but the change does not save.

Please advise when this is fixed.

Another more minor problem is that when I click somewhere when editing a document to make a comment, it takes me somewhere completely different, perhaps at the top of the document, which is annoying when I am editing a large post.

Hi @sensuouscurmudgeon,

Thank you for the feedback on the comment search feature. It is still available when enabling the advanced pages setting (or via example.wordpress.com/wp-admin/edit-comments.php, but I will definitely report this feedback to our developers.

Thanks,

Thank you, darnelldibbles. My point is this: features that were readily available shouldn’t be hidden away and made complicated to find and use. It may look slick, but it isn’t good programming if it interferes with the process of blogging.

Like others (flyingcuttlefish), I have now lost stats for my older posts and just get this message instead when clicking on them:

The page requested does not exist
    The page you requested does not exist, or you do not have have the necessary privileges to access it. You may return to the dashboard of Iain Kelly by clicking here.

Will these pages be restored? Or has this needless change just lost all my stats? Utterly pointless update that has ruined what was a perfectly good admin system beforehand.

musicdoc1

@justjennifer,

You said in Reply #3653791 of this topic, “I see that the Links Manager has returned.” I’m not sure what you mean by the Links Manager, but I presume you refer to the Links page in WP-Admin opened by clicking the “All Links” menu item in the Links menu of the WP-Admin admin menu.

for all,

Last night I discovered that the WP-Admin Links menu is missing on most of my sites, some created as early as 2009. The Links icon in that menu looks like the link of a chain. When you point at or hover over it, three links are revealed: All Links, Add New, and Link Categories. Since the Links icon is missing on most of my sites in this account, so are the three menu items “under” it. To reach those pages I’m now required to construct the URLs by copying the corresponding URLs on a site of mine that has a Links menu displayed, then changing the subdomain appropriately.

Has anyone else encountered this issue recently, a missing Links menu in WP-Admin?

musicdoc1

Forgot to mention, I’ve started a new topic on the missing Links menu issue, here: Links menu missing from WP-Admin menu on most of my sites.

supernovia
    Staff

@iainkellywriting we’ve passed along your request for the old stats formatting. And to clarify, your data is still there, displayed differently.

@musicdoc1 as noted in the other thread, after some feedback from this thread we were able to bring the menu item for the links manager to sites that use that feature.

musicdoc1

@supernovia,

Thanks! I’ve responded in that thread.

supernovia
    Staff

@sensuouscurmudgeon just noting we’ve passed along your feedback about searching comments. Thanks!

supernovia
    Staff

@murrayfoote: thank you for the clear, specific feedback. This is exactly the sort of thing we need.

I wasn’t able to duplicate the image link thing though. Here’s what I did:

– Added an image
    – Clicked the link icon
    – Typed the address
    – Clicked the little arrow
    – Toggled “Open in a New Tab”
    – Clicked apply

Can you confirm that’s what you’re doing, too?

Also can you send a little more information about duplicating this?

Another more minor problem is that when I click somewhere when editing a document to make a comment, it takes me somewhere completely different, perhaps at the top of the document, which is annoying when I am editing a large post

Thank you, supernovia.

murrayfoote

@supermovia: I was doing something different but it’s now working.

Add an image or a series of images to a post
      Click on an image
      That brings up six icons, four for alignment, edit and remove
      Click edit
      In the Edit screen there is an “Open Link in a new tab” checkbox.
      Click that then click Update.

Initially that wasn’t saving and I worked out how to get it to work using HTML. The next day I continuing editing the post and found I had missed an image. Now it was working and it continues to do so.

For the second issue, my blog is mainly a travel blog and my last post had 38 images (as separate images) and 900 words. Say I open a post to continue editing it. I use the mouse to drag down the “border tab” to where I want to be in the document, then I click in the document where I want to edit. It takes me to the top of the document. Then if I go back and click there again, it stays where it should. But also if I just click a couple of times in nearby places, it may take back to the top again.

Hi @murrayfoote glad to hear your first issue is sorted.

For the second issue, my blog is mainly a travel blog and my last post had 38 images (as separate images) and 900 words. Say I open a post to continue editing it. I use the mouse to drag down the “border tab” to where I want to be in the document, then I click in the document where I want to edit. It takes me to the top of the document. Then if I go back and click there again, it stays where it should. But also if I just click a couple of times in nearby places, it may take back to the top again

Would you be willing to create a new post about this issue? We’d like to focus on it separately since this post about the unified navigation change does not seem related. Also since we’re at 6 pages here, it well help us to focus on your issue separately rather than go back and forth on this already crowded thread.

Please start your new post here, copy your explanation of the scrolling issue into that post, and add a “modlook” tag so that we are sure to see it:
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/?new=1

That way the people who have been working on this topic won’t get unwanted notifications as we troubleshoot your scrolling issue. Thanks!

murrayfoote

jerrysarcastic: Thank you. Done.

justjennifer

@musicdoc1 I am experiencing the same thing. Some of my sites have the Link Manager available in the sidebar and some of them don’t. The only reason I can think of for that being the case is whether you had created your own links in the Link Manager prior to the change to unified navigation.

No links or just the WordPress.com default links = No Link Manager in unified navigation.

Looking through my own sites, that seems to be the case.

justjennifer

@musicdoc1 Ah, just found your thread about this issue so you can ignore my reply above, which basically repeats that discussion.

justjennifer

I’m not sure if it’s been covered yet, but regarding access to draft posts from the Write button in the Admin bar when I’m on my site at Home https://wordpress.com/home/

First, I have Advanced Dashboard Pages enabled. (Yes, I had to check that.)

If I click the number next to Write in the Admin Bar, I see a partial list of available draft posts. Clicking on the “See All” link at the bottom of that list brings me to the Calypso Draft Posts Dashboard https://wordpress.com/posts/drafts instead of the WP Admin Draft Posts Dashboard /wp-admin/edit.php?post_status=draft&post_type=post

(screenshot removed)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks by  justjennifer. Reason: updated screenshot link
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks by  justjennifer.

Hi @justjennifer, looks like this is also on our developer’s radar:

https://github.com/Automattic/wp-calypso/issues/51634.

justjennifer

Great! Thanks @fresatomica.

alexskunz

It’s a question of style.

I noticed the “Unified Navigation” for the first time today (I’m not using my personal blog that much), and how this is rolled out to users without warning or notice is, I’m sorry to say this, simply poor style. It seems almost arrogant.

You’ve been bugging us for months or a year with the “new! editor! zOMG!”* banner, and for a change like this, there’s an announcement here, but nothing in the actual product. You guys flick the switch, and users are left scrambling to find out how to change it back.

Now, it wasn’t too difficult to find this thread and from there, the account option to switch back to wp-admin, but… come on, folks. There’s a lot of room for improvement.

With regards to Calypso: I’ve been using WP since 2011 (self-hosted and wp.com) and I’m sorry, I’ll NEVER be able to accept “Calypso” and find my way around there — using wp-admin is muscle memory, and working with both wp.com and self-hosted sites, it’s a real challenge how the two interfaces are drifting further and further apart, and what additional hoops I’ve been made to jump through for my wp.com hosted sites…

*) simply nothing about the Block Editor it is better for simple everyday blogging, but that just as a footnote, you’ve heard it a thousand times by now…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks by  justjennifer. Reason: corrected formatting

The topic ‘Unified Navigation’ is closed to new replies.