Unified Navigation

• Author

justjennifer

Let me add one more thing for now. After switching on the “advanced dashboard pages” toggle button in https://wordpress.com/me/account the placement of the “Save interface settings” button so much lower on the page makes it easy to overlook the need to click on it.

galois

And, yet, not all previous WP Admin dashboard pages are available even under “advanced dashboard pages.”

The first is the old User dashboard that @aprudy finds integral to the way he works with his students https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/unified-navigation/page/2/?view=all#post-3652309 It is currently available by direct link to /wp-admin/users.php

I see that the Links Manager has returned.

PressThis is no longer available under Tools in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. It does appear in the default unified navigation under Settings>Writing.

I can no longer view my Sharing Stats or Akismet Stats in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. If I try to use the direct WP Admin links, I get a “this page does not exist” error.

That’s all the initial feedback I have for now. Also, I’m going to be mostly AFK for the next few days.
    @justjennifer: 👍
    And I add my two cents: everything you mention, I see it on a site that I have with the Business plan. On my sites with the free plan, there are no such menu shortcuts.

galois

Sorry, I forget one quote tag.

And, yet, not all previous WP Admin dashboard pages are available even under “advanced dashboard pages.”

The first is the old User dashboard that @aprudy finds integral to the way he works with his students https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/unified-navigation/page/2/?view=all#post-3652309 It is currently available by direct link to /wp-admin/users.php

I see that the Links Manager has returned.

PressThis is no longer available under Tools in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. It does appear in the default unified navigation under Settings>Writing.

I can no longer view my Sharing Stats or Akismet Stats in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. If I try to use the direct WP Admin links, I get a “this page does not exist” error.

That’s all the initial feedback I have for now. Also, I’m going to be mostly AFK for the next few days.

@justjennifer: 👍

And I add my two cents: everything you mention, I see it on a site that I have with the Business plan. On my sites with the free plan, there are no such menu shortcuts.

I also HATE the new editor and unified navigation. Why fix what isn´t broken. My 2 sites which I have had for 12 years today are almost impossible to use.
    Checking on All posts, I find
    Pending are shoved into Drafts.
    Trash can only delete 1 post at a time rather than select all
    Adding an image has taken almost an hour WTF is the point of adding old images to new posts or some freebie that nobody wants to see. I cannot choose to add circular, square or galleried images. I cannot change size from original, to large or medium, they don´t automatically stay in the same setting i.e. centre or right or left alignment.
    PLEASE give us a choice to return to the Classic Editor

Forgot to add that I can no longer search for a post by category or by month/year this is really frustrating.

Hello there,
    I wasn’t expecting to find these changes when I logged in to create a new post today.

The ‘unified navigation’ seems fine, although I’m not appreciating how this is a useful departure from the old one.

I’m very much a fan of the Classic Editor like some of my fellow bloggers on this thread. It hasn’t yet been restored on my panel and I would very much like it to be.

Is it a case of waiting for a rollout, clearing caches and other techniques?

Many of us have familiar workflows and it’s of no help for these to be disrupted or changed altogether with no tangible benefits.

Thank for listening and taking this and other views forward.

With best wishes,
    Mike

kenwood31

Hello,

Again an useless change like the new editor… How to go back to the classic menu & editor?

kenwood31

Ok, I got it. We have to go on our own profile then settings and check the box “detailled dashboard” (not sure about the exact title in english).

Yes I figured out how to enable the detailed dashboard to restore Classic functionality. A quick run-through of the dashboard doesn’t reveal any gaping holes.

I noticed that the dashboard menu shows up all the time while editing a post, thankfully I worked out how to minimise it.

So all in all it’s not too bad, though it was a bit of a surprise and sudden scramble to sort out, which shows that WP comms didn’t work too smoothly with this one.

Mike

Hi @justjennifer,

I can no longer view my Sharing Stats or Akismet Stats in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. If I try to use the direct WP-Admin links, I get a “this page does not exist” error.

Thanks for pointing this out. There is an open report for that in Github:

https://github.com/Automattic/wp-calypso/issues/51252

@everyone

For wp-admin pages that are not accessible through enabling the advanced dashboard page setting, we’d be happy to provide direct links to those pages if you request them. If there are features no longer accessible at all, please let us know as that should not be the case. I’d be happy to report this internally to our developers.

Since this is a thread regarding the new Unified Navigation interface, please keep things on topic. If you have questions regarding the classic editor, we would love to assist you, but in order to keep threads on topic please create a new post and we’ll provide support for you there:

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/?new=1

We are fully aware that there are issues with the new interface and understand the change has been frustrating for several of you. The developers are working hard to provide fixes to issues as well as constant updates to the interface in order to make the site navigation experience more consistent, but also smoother. We will continue to welcome your questions and feedback as well as provide updates once we receive them.

Thank you!

Also, as we share the direct links to the wp-admin pages that are not accessible via the advanced dashboard page toggle, I would encourage you to bookmark them for now as we continue to relay feedback from you all.

Thanks,

I see a couple of the things I complained about now have a work around so thank you. Can you also let me know how I can find images that are not attached and either attach them to a blog or delete them. It was easy going into Media Library but the option no longer seems to exist. Thanks.

musicdoc1

@darnelldibbles,

Hi. Thanks!

If there are features no longer accessible at all, please let us know as that should not be the case.

WP-Admin features presently inaccessible:

• Stats, including the main stats page and numerous sub-pages

For wp-admin pages that are not accessible through enabling the advanced dashboard page setting, we’d be happy to provide direct links to those pages if you request them.

WP-Admin features with direct link missing:

• All Users
    • Add New Users
    • Tools > Import
    • Tools > Export

I’ve already figured out the All Users URL (/wp-admin/users.php appended to site URL), but not the others.

Also, it doesn’t make much sense to have the Home icon linked to My Sites. When you’re in WP-Admin, isn’t Home the WP-Admin dashboard? Well, it is to me.

jrr4dwl

why not place, in the areas where functionality has disappeared, a notification that says “want to switch back to the advanced layout of this page?” linking to the toggle switch?

So why did WP feel it necessary to kill the wp-admin/index.php?page=stats pages?

The newer Stats and Insights page is hideous and loads like a snail, the Dashboard is uninformative and the Homepage is pointless.

wp-admin/index.php?page=stats was a very neat and informative page.

Obviously it was too well designed and useful…

justjennifer

@darnelldibbles – thanks for pointing to that github issue and count me as one of the users who wants the full drilled down information that appeared on the previous sharing stats pages, including not only number of shares per social network, but also which posts were shared, as is mentioned in the support doc

Click on the number of shares, and you’ll be able to see:

• Which sharing options are used most frequently by your readers, and which posts or pages were shared using those services.
    • Which posts and pages are shared most frequently, and which services were used to share them.

Thanks.

justjennifer

You also mentioned:

Also, as we share the direct links to the wp-admin pages that are not accessible via the advanced dashboard page toggle, I would encourage you to bookmark them for now as we continue to relay feedback from you all.

If by “as we share the direct links” you mean in individual forum or support threads, it would be near to impossible to track and bookmark them. If a direct link is available, please add that information to the support documentation for that feature, or alternatively a centralized support document, so that everyone can find and access the links. TIA

supernovia
    Staff

@jrr4dwl Thanks for that; you’re suggesting adding a way to navigate to the other version of each page, essentially?

supernovia
    Staff

@justjennifer,

If by “as we share the direct links” you mean in individual forum or support threads, it would be near to impossible to track and bookmark them.

That makes total sense to me. I’ve sent some feedback along those lines & we’ll be working on it. I think we’ll also go through this thread ourselves to figure out which links we’re having to give out and include that in the feedback to our product folks, too.

supernovia
    Staff

@maddogtvdinners thanks for your feedback on the stats page. We did a lot of work on that a few years ago, but knowing it’s just plain slow for you is helpful.

Since stats isn’t really related to the menu, so much as a change that happened at the same time, would you be willing to open a new thread and share more details about what you typically access in wp-admin stats and what you’re trying to find? Add a modlook tag so staff will see it. We’ll do our best to help you find what you need and get the feedback to our developers.

The topic ‘Unified Navigation’ is closed to new replies.