Unified Navigation

• @radtrad thanks for that. Yeah, these won’t always be exactly duplicated. You will always be able to access either option, though, if you have direct links.

• I am also trying to revert to the Classic Editor. I clicked on this link as suggested:https://wordpress.com/me/account
    but did not find an option to choose the Classic Editor. What am I missing?
    My site is https://cspgarden.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=4814&action=edit
    Thanks!

• Hi @cspgarden, this thread is about the navigation changes rather than the classic editor. Your account does not have navigation changes just yet.

This article explains how to access the classic editor:
    https://wordpress.com/support/classic-editor-guide/

• This article explains how to access the classic editor:
    https://wordpress.com/support/classic-editor-guide/

The other day this page’s advice was useless. But the Classic Editor option just got resored a day ago.

So anyone who couldn’t get it to go can try it again and maybe get better results.

• For me, the loss of the ability to access the old WP Admin User’s page – where users were listed alphabetically on the left and links to their posts were in a column on the right – is really serious.

This feature was the reason I left other platforms for WordPress. It was the only means by which it was possible to sort posts by user. I introduce 100-200 students to WordPress as a blogging platform in my Sociological Theory and other classes every year (for a decade) and grading their work is orders of magnitude more efficient when I can sort by user.

justjennifer was able to help me, over in the forums, learn what to append onto my sites URL to bring up this page but having it as an option under Users – or a search option under Posts – would be great for those of us who use the site for teaching and or community work.

• The “new” WP dashboard will not show me any stats for old posts.

=sigh=

• Hi @flyingcuttlefish,

The “new” WP dashboard will not show me any stats for old posts.

It does not sound like you are referring to the block editor exactly… you are asking about how to access per-post stats from the list of published blog posts?

I see that you have set your user preferences to show wp-admin pages where possible, so stats are available from the post list here for example: https://flyingcuttlefish.wordpress.com/wp-admin/edit.php

But they are also available here under the “new” post list view: https://wordpress.com/posts/flyingcuttlefish.wordpress.com

The option to view stats (for a specific post) is found under the “…” menu next to each post. For example, here is how it looks on one of my sites:

Click to view image

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• I see ‘advanced navigation’ in account settings.

When I do not use the advanced navigation and I go from within a draft post to preview the post, then I see the preview within the frame – the frame that has the options to ‘close, edit header, see on some view other than desktop’ and ‘go to site’.

When I use the advanced navigation and I am in a draft post on one of my sites that is a sub-domain (thenameofmysite.wordpress,..) and go to view a preview from within the draft, then again, everything works OK.

When, however, I use the advanced navigation and go to one of my sites that is not a sub-domain URL (such as my main site) then when I go to preview from within a draft of a post, I get a ‘post not found’.

I can, of course go back to ‘all posts’ and then to preview, but it’s a workaround.

Also, if I replace the URL in the preview page with thenameofmysite.wordpress.com/p=XXXX?preview=true (where XXXX is the post ID), then I can see the preview of the draft.

This issue is not new behaviour: I have been experiencing this for a year or more (at a guess). And I reported it before. I was hoping this amalgamation of navigation would solve it, and I am mentioning it here. in case it can be solved as part of this update #modlook

• Hi there @artphotowall,

Thank you for reporting this. I see that you have reached out to us via live chat regarding this issue? I will look into your previous interaction with us regarding this and make sure that it has been reported internally. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out again via live chat – since this isn’t directly associated with Nav Unification, we want to make sure that your inquiry isn’t lost within the thread.

Thanks!

• @fstat,

We’ll be gathering feedback on any friction you’re running into, so if something feels off, please add details to this thread: let us know what you clicked on, what you expected, and what happened instead. If you can share a bit about your typical use, too, that would be helpful.

Problems detected so far (first day):

1. The following links in the WP-Admin admin bar no longer go to the corresponding WP-Admin pages, and instead go to My Sites pages:

*dashboard (home icon)
    *Stats
    *All Posts & Add New (posts)
    *Media Library
    *All Pages & Add New (pages)
    *All Projects & Add New (projects)
    *Comments
    *Themes
    *General Settings

There may be others that I’ve missed. For inveterate, unreformed users of WP-Admin like myself, this is all bad news. I don’t want any of these links in the WP-Admin bar to go to My Sites pages. When I’m in WP-Admin working on any of my sites, I expect each of the links in the admin bar to go to the corresponding pages in WP-Admin. Why wouldn’t I?

2. Secondly, I find that none of the descriptions that I’ve seen regarding the purpose of “Unified Navigation” make it clear that this unification process leaves WP-Admin admin bar links changed to links to My Sites. When you blow up WP-Admin like this, please just tell us straight: Folks, We’re blowing up WP-Admin!

3. Most of the WP-Admin pages listed above still exist. I had bookmarks to many of them, and was able to figure out the URLs of those I was missing and create new bookmarks. One exception: WP-admin Stats has apparently been eliminated. That’s not just one page, it’s several pages that I ordinarily visit every day. Suddenly eliminated, without notice, without explanation.

If you can share a bit about your typical use, too, that would be helpful.

I’ve always preferred WP-Admin to any of the alternatives that have been rolled out over the past several years. When I’m working on a WordPress.com site, I’m using WP-Admin about 99.999% of the time. One link to My Sites in WP-Admin is enough. Why on Earth would I want nearly all of the links in the WP-Admin admin bar to go to My Sites pages??!!

Thanks, WordPress.com. : (

• @musicdoc1: thanks for that feedback!

If you prefer your navigation to always default to the classic WordPress look, you can navigate to https://wordpress.com/me/account and activate the option called “Dashboard appearance” as illustrated in this screenshot: https://en-support.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/markup-2021-03-09-at-16.52.34-1.png

We also cover this in more detail on this support guide page if you’re interested: https://wordpress.com/support/account-settings/#dashboard-appearance.

Please note that toggling this setting will also change some of the other links on your navigation menu, but you can always deactivate this option down the road to go back to the new interface. It won’t 100% change things back to stock wp-admin, but it should help with the majority of the pages you use daily.

I hope that helps!

• @csonnek,

Thanks. I’m aware of that option, but I haven’t tried it yet. The WP-Admin pages I’ve been using for years are fine, so I’m not sure I want to replace them with so-called “advanced dashboard pages.”

Secondly, regarding, “If you prefer your navigation to always default to the classic WordPress look…” — The look at WP-Admin hasn’t changed much. It’s not a specific look I’m after. I just want to the links in the WP-Admin admin bar to go to WP-Admin pages.

• I was extremely disappointed by the disappearance of the wp-admin/index.php?page=stats pages this morning.

I’m sick of WordPress forcing Gutenberg on their users – most people don’t want or like it (as far as I can tell). 5 million people have downloaded the Classic Editor plugin for paid WP sites – that’s just how popular Blocks is, or rather isn’t.

WP have sucked the life out of blogging and after 10 years this makes me ready to give up. The constant tinkering over the years has always been a PITA, but removing a useful and well designed page takes the biscuit. Sadly the new interface, like Gutenberg is not fit for purpose.

• A clear line at https://wordpress.com/support/account-settings/#dashboard-appearance about the fact choosing Classic versions is not only a matter of the colour schemes but also of having classic functionality would be much appreciated. In fact it is the kind of detail which you might expect in support documentation.

As for the Unified Navigation change, I seldom look at Support, and thus the change came rather unannounced. In my view it should have figured at the central WP blog. In fact I think it is worthy of personal presentation by Matt Mullenweg. The editor, the admin dashboard and My Home are central and crucial interfaces where you expect seamless navigation. This has now become cumbersome with the disappearance of the button to WP Admin in the menu(s). I would like to see this button reappear.

• Howdy @musicdoc1

Thanks. I’m aware of that option, but I haven’t tried it yet. The WP-Admin pages I’ve been using for years are fine, so I’m not sure I want to replace them with so-called “advanced dashboard pages.”

Since not every user of WordPress.com knows what wp-admin actually is we use the word “advanced” to describe them as being distinct from the more simplified admin pages found under Calypso (My Sites) but when we say “advanced dashboard page” we are in fact referring to classic wp-admin.

If you prefer wp-admin you will want to turn on the setting for sure. It will mean that all the pages you noted in your initial list will go to the wp-admin page (all posts for example) as you prefer.

• Is this end of the road for my blog on WordPress? I won’t be surprised.

I have never liked the ‘upgrades’ and have tried my damndest to stick with the original robust class editor. It’s interesting to me how, in this world, a lot of ‘jobs’ involve interfering with a lot of other jobs.

• @jerrysarcastic,

Howdy. Thanks so much!

Questions:
    1. With “advanced dashboard” enabled, why doesn’t the home icon go to the WP-Admin dashboard?

2. What happened to the WP-Admin stats?

3. Does anyone at WordPress.com see the irony of referring to the WP-Admin dashboard pages as “advanced,” when they’ve been essentially the same for what 8-10 years or so? Have we been on a path that progresses to the lesser and lesser advanced?

• but when we say “advanced dashboard page” we are in fact referring to classic wp-admin.

And, yet, not all previous WP Admin dashboard pages are available even under “advanced dashboard pages.”

The first is the old User dashboard that @aprudy finds integral to the way he works with his students https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/unified-navigation/page/2/?view=all#post-3652309 It is currently available by direct link to /wp-admin/users.php

I see that the Links Manager has returned.

PressThis is no longer available under Tools in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. It does appear in the default unified navigation under Settings>Writing.

I can no longer view my Sharing Stats or Akismet Stats in the Advanced Dashboard Pages. If I try to use the direct WP Admin links, I get a “this page does not exist” error.

That’s all the initial feedback I have for now. Also, I’m going to be mostly AFK for the next few days.

Cheers.

• I really hate the new editor and the “unified navigation”. The Editor is slow, lacks options and really hard to use. I continued using the classic editor, but this morning, it ist gone. Is there any chance to get it back? I really cannot work with the new editor.

• Ok, found how to switch back to classic. But staff, please keep in mind: Here is just another paying user who loathes the new changes. And please do not tell me about the advantages of the new block editor. I design block editors for Learning Management Systems, and yours is really, really bad.

• The topic ‘Unified Navigation’ is closed to new replies.