Unbelievable views vs visitors stats

• It has been a very slow week for my blog, but today I am suddenly seeing a bizarre number of views in my stats for no reason that I can figure. I have 12 visitors and 70 views. I find it incredible that those 12 visitors are responsible for over 5 views each. Most of the views are for the home page. They seem to be coming from Canada. I am concerned that this is some kind of hack/spam attempt. There is no way these are legitimate. Does anyone else see this pattern today?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• P.S. — I noticed a strange referrer name in my stats a few times during the past month – Semalt. Apparently some kind of tracking site?

• spencerwberry · Member ·

Joyce,
    Please be aware that, per our stats documentation, visitors can take hours to appear in stats, where views usually happen quite quickly. So checking stats the same day is not as accurate as checking a few days ago.

I find it incredible that those 12 visitors are responsible for over 5 views each.

Looking at your averages, you have hit ~3 views per visitor on a couple days. While difficult to say if this traffic was human or not, it is not anything to worry about. Public websites get all kinds of traffic.

I am concerned that this is some kind of hack/spam attempt.

Leave this type of concern to us, we are your host and we have a lot of tools already in place to keep your site secure.

We do hope that youfollow our security guidelines to keep your login information safe.

P.S. — I noticed a strange referrer name in my stats a few times during the past month – Semalt. Apparently some kind of tracking site?

Semalt is a a known SEO/keyword company, but they aren’t malicious, just obnoxious.

We are aware of them, and we continually come up with new ways to exclude companies like these from our stats.

• You’re right that your weird stats are because of that company, though.

• The topic ‘Unbelievable views vs visitors stats’ is closed to new replies.