Twitter posting bug?

• Whenever I publish a new article, the tweet that’s produced is all wrong. The image is huge and the article is just a long link above the huge image. I always have to go to Twitter and delete this one then re-share the tweet using the button at the bottom of the article. When I do this, the article is then properly formatted on Twitter (image on left side in square, article synopsis on the right).

Can someone look into this problem? WordPress used to tweet them correctly on submit, but this hasn’t worked correctly for several months and it’s getting frustrating to have to clean this up with each and every post.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Good Morning –

I’ll be happy to have a look at this. Do you have any screen shots of the odd tweets for reference? That’d be a big help.

Make sure that you’re assigning a featured image with your posts, that is the image that Twitter should pull in to the Tweet preview.

• I’ll have to create one.. I’m about to publish a new article soon. I’ll snapshot the twitter feed posting once I have it.

• Because I wanted to facilitate this ticket along, I published a quick Technical Difficulties post (because of another issue with WordPress).

• What is the twitter handle? If you don’t want to share that here in the public forum you do not have to.

I’m just curious if the preview is broken in a general Twitter feed or if it’s just when loading your Twitter profile?

• I’ve already deleted them. I don’t leave them on the feed because they’re not helpful. If you need me to leave them on the feed, I can create another one.

• However, I’m fairly certain that the way I’m seeing it is the way others are.

• Yes. I have confirmed that other users see it the same way.

• I will leave this tweet out there for a short time if you want to see it. But, I will delete it before the end of the day.

• Whatever method is being used to submit the tweet to Twitter when publishing a new blog article is leaving it in a broken state. Apparently, it works properly if you use the share button.

• Have you already tried disconnected – reconnecting the Twitter connection through the Publicize tool?

• I haven’t done it in a while, but I’ll try it.

• Disconnecting and reconnecting Twitter doesn’t make a difference. Adding or not adding a Featured Image makes no difference.

I performed two tests. The two tests were performed after disconnecting and reconnecting Twitter with the publicize tool. I tested with and without a Featured Image.

Without Featured Image: https://randosity.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/withoutfeaturedimage-stillbroken.png

With Featured Image: https://randosity.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/withfeaturedimage-stillbroken1.png

This is most definitely a bug in WordPress’s Twitter publicize feature. I’ve performed all of the tests that I can to rule out a problem with my Blog site. Note, this feature did, once upon a time, work properly. This likely a regression bug introduced in a release several months ago or Twitter changed its API and your dev team wasn’t aware.

• I forgot to mention that I viewed these tweets using an incognito browser window to ensure I would be viewing them like any other user would see it.

• Thank you. I’m going to dig around and see if I can find any other instances like what you’ve reported.

Personally, I am not having this issue with my Twitter connection through Publicize on my personal blog.

• I should also point out that using the old editor (in wp-admin) or the new blue editor also makes no difference.

• Thanks again for your patience and details shared here in this thread. I am trying to replicate the behavior that you’ve reported to us and not having much luck.

I’m reporting this to our developer team now. Could you please share with me what browser version and number you’re using – or if you are publishing posts through the desktop app.

Thanks.

• Now, there are some limitations with Twitter and how the Publicize versions of Tweets will appear compared to directly sharing the link in a new Tweet.

• When I publish my articles, I’m using the latest version of Firefox on a Mac via the Web interface. I don’t use the mobile app as the editor is not nearly as full featured. As I said, it doesn’t make a difference if I use the wp-admin editor or the new blue colored editor. Both fail in the same way.

As for the ‘limitations’ you mention, are they documented anywhere? You also mentioned that your blog doesn’t exhibit this problem, so clearly this isn’t the correct behavior and doesn’t seem to be a limitation. Also, as I mentioned, this feature previously worked. Sometime in the last 6 months or so is when this feature broke. I also hadn’t changed anything to do with my site when it broke.

Note that the only two differences between my blog site and yours would be:
    1) the theme … can’t see the theme affecting Twitter publicizing
    2) the age of my WordPress account versus yours
    3) the server at WordPress.com where my blog lives.

I started my WordPress blog in 2008 (10 years ago). It might be related to age or it might be related to the server where my blog is hosted. I’d suspect the server over age. Assuming it’s related to the server, you might want to find other blogs hosted on the same server where mine is and test to see of those blogs produce the same results. If so, it’s likely a problem with the WordPress installation (or a plugin) on that specific server.

Thanks.

• The topic ‘Twitter posting bug?’ is closed to new replies.