transferring website to wordress

• Author

trwssp

Hi

I am currently with moonfruit and they have completely lost all concept of customer service. Since they rely on flash this has had a negative affect as its unsecure software that my school do not want to run on their network. Moonfruit have not found a solution so looking at alternative providers. Is it possible to transfer the website to wordpress? Not sure what happens to the domain and other hidden fees. Complete novice so need all the help I can get please.

maksimurasov

Hi @trwssp,

Thank you for reaching out!

There are two things to talk about when discussing about website transferring:
    Domain transfer and website content transfer.

Domain transfer:
    There are available Domain Transfer or Mapping. If you could you let us know the current URL of your website, then we could point you to the right direction better. So far you can check prices for transferred domain names and check available plans of WordPress.com.

Website content transfer:
    Before we discuss that, please take a look into this article about the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
    As far as I know it is not possible just copy and paste the website from Moonfruit to WordPress because the formats are different. As I see here there must be a way to download the files from Moonfruit. Then you will have to create a new website on WordPress.com and manually upload content into it.

That said, we look forward to hearing from you!

trwssp

Thank you for your feedback

Such a dilemma, as I have essentially paid a renewal fee to moonfruit and not had access to the website for nearly half a year. So I’m exploring the idea of refund and migrating but by the looks of things its probably easier to start from scratch.

But transferring domain is obviously priority going by your advice

The URL is: http://www.threeriverswatfordssp.co.uk/

maksimurasov

Hi again,

Thank you for sharing the URL. Have you purchased domain also from Moonfruit, together with hosting?

For co.uk domains the only option is domain mapping because “We can accept incoming domain transfers for all TLDs listed on this page except for the following: (…) .co.uk, (…) domains”.

Below I have provided a little info about the costs involved as you have asked in first post:
    By mapping a domain you will have to continue to pay domain renewal to current registrar (Moonfruit?). But if you wont use website hosted on Moonfruit servers, probably you wont have to pay for hosting, only for domain renewal, you can check that directly at Moonfruit support.
    Also if you decide to create a website here on WordPress.com:
    1) You will have to purchase a paid plan (mapping is possible with Personal, Premium, Business, or eCommerce plans).
    2) Also add a Domain mapping to your basket. Leaving this for Staff attention.

Is there anything else we could help? Would be happy to hear from you.

maksimurasov

Dear Staff,

I was not able to identify the costs of domain Mapping, could you please shed some light on that?
    The other topic is content transferring from Moonfruit- is there something apart https://transferto.wordpress.com/drag-and-drophtml-site-builders ? Unfortunately it is not suitable for Moonfruit as I see here: https://wordpress.com/forums/topic/import-from-moonfruit/

coramathis

I also want to transfer my website baby burrito to WordPress but there is some problem with it. I have tried the above-said thing but it didn’t work.

trwssp

Domain is purchased via Namesco Ltd

trwssp

Also can I use Booking Bug which is JRNI Booking and scheduling software that directly links with my current website?

csonnek
    Staff

@maksimurasov

I was not able to identify the costs of domain Mapping, could you please shed some light on that?

There is no specific domain mapping subscription – you need to have an upgraded WordPress.com plan on your site (Personal, Premium, Business, or eCommerce.), then the mapping is included with that plan.

Regarding importing from Moonfruit, it looks like the company doesn’t provide a way to export their content, so there is no good importing tool that we would have here. The site would need to be recreated in WordPress.

@coramathis: Could you please start your own thread here regarding your problem?

https://wordpress.com/forums/forum/support/#new-post

Thank you!

csonnek
    Staff

@trwssp

Also can I use Booking Bug which is JRNI Booking and scheduling software that directly links with my current website?

Booking Bug is a third party plugin, so in order to use it on WordPress.com you must have a Business or eCommerce plan which allows you to install plugins. You can compare the different plan levels here to see which one fits your needs best:

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

Regarding transferring your domain (if you have it registered at Moonfruit), you would need to find a registrar that accepts incoming .co.uk domains (GoDaddy is one) and you would map the domain to your Business site using the above instructions. EDIT: see my reply below. :)

I hope that helps!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks by  csonnek. Reason: correcting domain advice
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks by  csonnek.

csonnek
    Staff

@trwssp – oops I missed this!

Domain is purchased via Namesco Ltd

You don’t need to transfer your domain to use it on your WordPress.com site. You just need to update your domain nameservers (DNS) at Namesco once you have the plan and domain mapping in place to:

– ns1.wordpress.com
    – ns2.wordpress.com
    – ns3.wordpress.com

No transferring necessary! Let us know if you have any other questions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.