is posting links to own site okay? [edited]

• Author

Dear WP admins,

So can any “blogger” claim they are a “help” here in the support forum and use this place to paste their “help links” everywhere to gain whitehat SEO like timethief does? Or is she special and the only blogger allowed to hawk these forums and “gain” her page ranking in this way?

-OM

The blog I need help with is aopinionatedman.com.

I want to know about that too!

I think I found the answer here = https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/wordpresscom-forums-community-standards?replies=1

“These forums are a space where anyone can request and provide help for their WordPress.com account and sites.

Our full Terms of Service apply when posting in the forums. And there are a few things specific to the forums community we’d like to highlight:

Be aware of your tone and focus. We love positive and productive discussions, so please keep comments on the topics at hand and not on other members of the community.
    Promote a respectful and friendly atmosphere. Every person has the right to ask and answer any questions, as well as participate in discussions and suggest new features. Welcome new users and stay on topic.
    Think before you post – this is a public forum. Forum topics will only be deleted at the discretion of Staff if they represent a valid security or personal safety concern.
    Avoid asking off-topic questions in existing threads. Everyone wants their question answered. Staff and volunteers can better answer your question if you start your own thread.
    Do not spam the forums, post links to sites that violate our ToS, or promote commercial WordPress consultancy services. Any posts like these will be deleted.

If I’m reading it right then, yes, anyone can ask and also answer questions here on any question as long as they “play nice”

They seem to be playing within the “rules” as long as they actually provide assistance I can’t see anything that says that assistance can’t be by linking to an instructional blog on their own site or some such. I can see how that would be effective in upping stats but it also helps if the information they provide is useful and accurate. Once I gain a better understanding of WordPress I could see myself doing some how to with photos or videos blogs and link them here. Only to help folks out though because I’m all kinda warm and fuzzy that way…. It hasn’t always been easy to find how to’s written in language an average person can understand.

On the other hand the “play nice” rules seem to be smashed all to pieces on this particular posting.

miusho

I believe showing such a hateful and negative attitude reflects badly on the wordpress support forums and such people should not even be here.

This makes me very hesitant to ask for any help whatsoever and I am very disappointed!

lizthefair
    Staff

aladywrites4u has it exactly right. All WordPress.com users are welcome to help in the forums. If links to personal sites are relevant to the question asked they are also allowed.

The “be nice” part is also key. The Community Standards say:

• Be aware of your tone and focus. We love positive and productive discussions, so please keep comments on the topics at hand and not on other members of the community.
    • Promote a respectful and friendly atmosphere. Every person has the right to ask and answer any questions, as well as participate in discussions and suggest new features. Welcome new users and stay on topic.

The responses in this thread that did not adhere to those standards have been deleted.

@raincoaster – We’ve warned you multiple times about following the Community Standards. Your responses in this thread will result in a week long ban from the forums. We’ll follow up with you via email.

@aopinionatedman— We’ve also warned you on multiple occasions to please keep your posts on an issue, not on individual users. Further attacks on users will lead to temporary or permanent suspension of your forums privileges. We will follow up with you via email as well.

@everyone

We apologize for the negativity of this thread. We want the forum to be a welcoming place for new and existing users and are redoubling our efforts to make sure that’s the case.

If you notice other threads that violate the Community Standards, please add a modlook tag and a CoC tag. It is not necessary or helpful to point out the violation in any other way.

The topic ‘is posting links to own site okay? [edited]’ is closed to new replies.