Tiled Gallery Block Error

• Author

flyingdisc

I have a page on my site using the Tiled Gallery block to display some of my favorite photographs, seen here:
    https://perkinsdesigns.com/favorite-photographs-second/
    I’m able to upload new photographs to add to the gallery, but cannot add photographs from my Media Library; that is, if I click on the Pencil icon, then click Add to gallery from the sidebar, select a photograph from my Media Library which I’d like to add, and then click Add to gallery, then, finally, click Update gallery, I get the following error message:
    “This block has encountered an error and cannot be previewed.”
    I’ve tried clearing the cache and reloading the page – with both Brave & Safari browsers – but the error message remains.
    In response, I have to leave the page without saving – otherwise all images in the gallery disappear.
    This wasn’t a problem before. In fact, almost every photograph in this Tiled Gallery was added from my Media Library, at some point after initially having been included in a post.
    Any help is appreciated, TY.

The blog I need help with is perkinsdesigns.com.

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

I’m not able to replicate the error you’re seeing on my end – I’m able to add additional images to a gallery – so I’ll need some more details:

1) Are you using the editor via WP-Admin, or via My Sites? Does it make any difference if you use the other version?

2) Are you using any browser add-ons in the browsers you’ve tried? Does disabling those, or using incognito/private mode make any difference? And what version numbers of those two browsers are you using?

3) Are you able to check if you get the same problem in Chrome or Firefox?

flyingdisc

Thanks for the reply.

1) using editor via WP-Admin

2) Browser data –

Brave browser Version 1.12.114 Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit) w/ “Share On Twitter” extension. Shield is “Trackers and ads blocked (standard)” & “Cross-site cookies blocked”. I disabled the Twitter extension with no difference observed.

Safari browser Version 13.1.2 (15609.3.5.1.3) with “Honey” extension.

Using private mode on both browsers made no difference – cannot add images from Media Library to aforementioned page https://perkinsdesigns.com/favorite-photographs-second/.

However, I’m able to add an image (as described) into a Tiled Gallery block on a similar page, seen here: https://perkinsdesigns.com/favorite-photographs-first/.

Also, during a recent 30 minute online chat regarding this matter, I was able to add a new sample page using a Tiled Gallery block of random pictures, save it, and then successfully add an image from my Media Library.

Is it possible that there’s a problem with this specific page?

3) not using Chrome or Firefox

Thanks.

macmanx
    Staff

Hm, not specifically that I can see. Is there any improvement if you whitelist both the site and WordPress.com in Brave?

flyingdisc

I’ve set “All cookies allowed” for both my site & WordPress.com in Brave, but unfortunately I’m getting the same error message when attempting to add an image from my Media Library.

macmanx
    Staff

Ok, would you mind trying a different browser, like Safari, Firefox, or Edge, just to be sure we’re focusing on the right thing in the first place?

flyingdisc

I tried but received the same error message when using the Safari browser.

kokkieh
    Staff

I don’t see anything wrong with your Vol 2 page either, but if the issue only happens on that page, then the most logical explanation is that the problem is something on the page.

Please try the following: Completely remove that gallery block from the page. Then add a new one, with the same images. Then check if adding a new image still gives the error.

Keep in mind the current version of the page is saved in revisions, so if the page gets messed up as a result, we can just roll it back to the current version.

flyingdisc

As suggested, I removed the Tiled Gallery block and then saved the page. I then added a new Tiled Gallery block, and saved. Next, I selected the same images as before, and saved. So far, so good.

I then went to the dashboard, returned to the page and attempted to add an image from my Media Library.

Unfortunately, I received the same error message – the screenshot (wp_block_error.png) stored in my Media Library, uploaded earlier.

macmanx
    Staff

If we’re still referring to https://perkinsdesigns.com/favorite-photographs-second/ I’m not currently seeing the error when I edit the page.

Were you able to resolve this?

flyingdisc

No.

Attempting to add an image, as described above –

…if I click on the Pencil icon, then click Add to gallery from the sidebar, select a photograph from my Media Library which I’d like to add, and then click Add to gallery, then, finally, click Update gallery.

…continues to generate the aforementioned error message – using both Safari & Brave browsers.

As noted, I’m able to modify other pages – such as https://perkinsdesigns.com/favorite-photographs-first/ – as expected?

macmanx
    Staff

Ah, sorry! What image in your library do you want to add? I’d like to see if I can trigger this myself.

flyingdisc

Ok, here’s one: 20aug_foothills_sunrise3.jpg (Morning Fog In Valley).

kokkieh
    Staff

I see no errors on my end adding that image to your gallery using the steps you gave above.

I wonder if this might not just be a timeout in the editor itself, rather than an error with the actual block. Can you try clicking Update on the post after adding the image to your gallery, then check if the gallery displays correctly, including the new image, on the actual published page?

flyingdisc

Yes, good call!!!

I added the image, received the same error message (wherein no images are displayed in the editor) but updated the page anyway.

It took a while on the front end – a handful of the images were greyed-out and none responded to a request for display when clicked (also, when clicked, a shift was observed, wherein a second scroll bar appeared and a reload was required to exit the blank gallery display window).

Everything returned to an expected status within three minutes, and has remained so.

Thanks kokkieh & macmanx for your help – much appreciated!

kokkieh
    Staff

I’m glad that worked.

Based on all the testing we’ve done, my best guess is that a network call somewhere along this process is timing out on your end. Specifically, the image is being added to the gallery and the network call when you update the page itself is going through, but the network call fetching the updated gallery from our servers to display the new preview in the editor appears to be failing.

My fist suspicion would be that the size of the gallery is causing it, but your vol. 1 gallery is a similar size and doesn’t have this problem, which rules that out.

The other possibility is something wrong in a cache somewhere. Try clearing the browser cache, and unplug your modem/router for a few seconds to reset its cache. It might also help to flush the DNS cache on your computer.

If none of that helps, if possible also check if you have the same issue when using a different internet connection.

flyingdisc

Appreciate the advice & will implement your suggestions – thanks!

The topic ‘Tiled Gallery Block Error’ is closed to new replies.