The LIKE button isn’t working for me on other people’s blogs

• When I read WordPress blogs via my computer, for the original posts there is often no ‘like’ button. There is a comment space, though, and I can write in it. And there are ‘like’ buttons for each comment that appears under the original post, and I can click those.

Then when I read blogs via my phone, the ‘like’ button appears under the original blog posts, but when I click it, nothing happens.

These are new problems for me since I started getting back into frequent blogging in the past month. It never used to be an issue in the past.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Can you please give a link to a post where you don’t see the Like button? It’s possible the owners of those sites simply disabled the button. You’d still be able to like posts from the Reader or the mobile app, but not from the site itself.

Then when I read blogs via my phone, the ‘like’ button appears under the original blog posts, but when I click it, nothing happens.

Do you mean using the browser on your phone? Please try clearing cookies and cache in the browser, and make sure the browser allows third party cookies.

• Here is a link for one blog post where I click the like button on the original post and nothing happens.

Reflections on death and funerals and such

I was viewing it on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone. I accessed it through the WordPress app. I had cleared the cache for the WordPress app and also on my Dolphin browser but the like button still doesn’t register a click, though I saw 6 other bloggers had liked it.

• Here is another one on which the like button won’t work for me:

What I Learned From Doing Prison Ministry, And Why I Do It

• One more. As usual, I can click the like star button on the comments and it changes colour to indicate it registered my click, but nothing happens when I click the word “like” under the original post by the blog owner.

Eating Bulla

• @steenmom thank you for all of these examples. For now, let’s focus on troubleshooting what’s happening on the desktop, since desktop browsers have more consistent troubleshooting tools. Hopefully if we can fix the desktop issue the phone issue will be sorted as well.

I’ve got several questions, so bear with us here. I’m hoping one of these will provide the right clues:

1 – Are you able to like posts on other sites?

2 – On each of those posts you shared, were you able to see the like button at all on the desktop?

3 – If you could see it, were you able to click it?

4 – Have you been able to like other posts on those same sites?

5 – If you change browsers (from Firefox to Chrome for example) do you have the same issue, and is it happening just on those sites / posts?

That’s a lot to check, but thank you in advance for helping us spot the issue! On our side, I’ve tested whether I can see the like buttons and click them; I can. And we’ve checked to be sure likes are enabled on your account; they are.

If you have the issue in more than one browser, and you don’t mind us logging in as you and attempting to like a post for you, please let us know, too. That may help us get to the bottom of this sooner.

• In answer to some of your questions:

1. I just checked a few sites from my computer on the Reader in WordPress. The like star showed up at all of the original posts, no problem. Then I went to a page I follow and found there was no like button, as has been the trouble lately.

2. I was not able to see a like button on any of them on my computer. The like button only showed up on the comments below each original post.

3. Because no star/like button was visible, I could not click it.

4. No, I could not like any posts on those sites. The like/star button only showed up for comments on the posts.

5. Ah, now here’s something! I tried Chrome and the like/star button showed up on those posts. I clicked on it and it registered and added my like to the total number of likes.

I don’t normally use Chrome. I like to use Firefox on my computer and Dolphin on my phone. Are these not compatible with WordPress blogs anymore? Or do you have some other ideas based on my answers? :)

• 5. Ah, now here’s something! I tried Chrome and the like/star button showed up on those posts. I clicked on it and it registered and added my like to the total number of likes.

Okay, that means something in your Firefox installation is blocking the code the Like button needs to work.

Are you using any browser add-ons in Firefox? Please try disabling those – ad-blockers are the most common cause of this problem, but disable everything and see if that helps. Then re-enable them one at a time until the button breaks again to see which one is the cause.

Also try clearing the cache in Firefox, and make sure JavaScript is enabled in that browser.

Solve Common Browser Issues

I like to use Firefox on my computer and Dolphin on my phone. Are these not compatible with WordPress blogs anymore?

I use Firefox every day, and never have an issue with liking posts.

We don’t officially support Dolphin, but it uses Apple’s Webkit engine, same as Safari which we do support, so it should work.

• Thank you for working with me in finding a solution. Following your excellent instructions, here are my results:

Yes, I have Adblock Plus as an extension on Firefox.

I went to one of the links above, with the extension still on, and saw there was no “like” button.

Then I disabled the extension, refreshed the page, and the like button appeared.

Then I did the reverse to check what would happen: I enabled the ad blocker, refreshed the page, and the like button disappeared.

I tried it again a few times, always getting the same result. So the ad blocker is at least part of the problem.

Then I cleared the cache in Firefox, and went back to try the above steps again. I still can’t use the ad blocker and be able to see the like button.

Perhaps this ad blocker is not a good fit for WordPress blogs, and another one would work? If this is the case, do you have one you recommend?

I checked Javascript and it already is enabled.

• PS: Now I am viewing the above sample links on my phone. The like button shows up on under the original posts but it does not register when I click it.

• @steenmom are you able to add exceptions to the blocker? This is coming from widgets.wp.com if you can add a domain. Be sure to allow the whole site.

• Thanks. I’ll look into that, Supernovia.

• Now a new problem has cropped up.

I’m on my computer, reading posts on WordPress’s Reader. As I’m reading the comments, I notice I can no longer click on the commenter’s name and get taken to their own page. I recognize some bloggers whose pages I’ve been to many times, but now I suddenly cannot get there by clicking on their names in the comment section.

Here’s a link for a page where it’s happening: https://wordpress.com/read/blogs/47012543/posts/1916

• Hi steenmom,

If you go to another post on this blog, you’ll see some of the names are clickable:

https://wordpress.com/read/blogs/47012543/posts/1856

Names with a site link occur when visitors fill out the comment form without entering a site address — rather than logging in to WordPress.com and commenting through that account (which would link their name through to the primary site).

I hope that helps explain what you are seeing.

• Sorry, I sent the wrong link in my last reply. I’ve updated my reply with the correct one :)

• Thank you, gemmacevans.

And now I am still trying to figure out how to make the like buttons work when reading blog posts from my phone.

• Is this happening through the WordPress.com app or mobile browser? Are you signed in to your WordPress.com account on the device?

• The topic ‘The LIKE button isn’t working for me on other people’s blogs’ is closed to new replies.