The Classic Block within the new Block Editor is not the same thing. Please let us go back. Please.

• Author

ethanf93

I DO NOT like the new WordPress update and how you guys force everyone to switch to the new block editor. Honestly speaking, it sucks. It was fine when switching to the Block editor was optional, but everyone who tried it and decided to stick with the old Classic Editor clearly had their reasons to. Simply speaking, the new Block Editor sucks. What you say in the notification email: ‘Within the new WordPress block editor you’ll find the Classic block, which works just like the editor you used before we introduced the WordPress.com editor several years ago.’ is simply a lie. It looks the same, and it might replicate the old functions, but it doesn’t feel remotely the same. Classic Editor is called ‘classic’ for a reason. There is a reason I don’t buy a Mac and then install a Virtual Machine on it then run Windows 10 on that VM, if I wanted to use Windows. This disrupts the workflow, and the feel of the writing is simply not the same, and instead of writing a heartfelt article about my favorite subjects, I am here writing a complaint instead.

I imagine many others feel the same. Please, the admins or whoever that are in charge, if you have any heart at all you would learn to respect the wishes of people who simply don’t want to be forced to be used a product they don’t like.

I chose WordPress as my go-to website for writing a blog in the first place, was because I liked it. I liked the websites and the editor and I just enjoy posting it here. It was simple and painless and just worked. Nothing else is needed, and this is clearly a case of breaking something by changing it. You don’t always need change, and especially when it is no more than an arbitrary decision by the corporate board, just because some higher-ups decided it was time to push for some change, for the sake of doing it. If you don’t think of the people who use your products, and you don’t cherish the love those people have for your products, you’ll soon lose it. I guess there will always be new people who will learn to love your new products, but there is no reason to exclude the old groups, when we can all have fun together.

Please, I just want the old Classic Editor back. The option to select between Classic Editor and Block Editor was there before, and it was fine. Just let us have it– you don’t even need to maintain it. Just let it be there. Please.

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

The classic editor still exists and can be used from the WP-Admin dashboard. This is the same editor that used to form part of the self-hosted WordPress software, and that can still be used on self-hosted sites via the classic editor plugin.

The editor that has been removed is our own internal version of that editor that lived in the My Sites interface. It is not feasible for us to continue maintaining three separate editors for WordPress.com, and that version of the classic editor will not be coming back.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/editors/#classic-editor

92s110

So give the users what they want and give us back the classic editor. I imagine blogger would happy to get an influx of new customers.

WP management continues to ignore the wishes of their users. Maybe a boycott is in order.

justjennifer

@ethanf93 have you tried using the Classic Editor in your site’s WP Admin, which was also mentioned in the email you received?

https://wordpress.com/support/editors/#classic-editor

• This reply was modified 2 months by  justjennifer. Reason: added link

ethanf93

Hi @kokkieh, I know you’re just a staff trying to do your job, but I’m not at all satisfied with this answer, and I’ll let you know my thoughts after considering your response thoroughly. Please do excuse my rudeness in advance.

>The classic editor still exists and can be used from the WP-Admin dashboard. This is the same editor that used to form part of the self-hosted WordPress software, and that can still be used on self-hosted sites via the classic editor plugin.

I’m aware of that, however it is not the same. Accessing WP-Admin dashboard every time I want to compose a new piece in the Classic Editor just feels clunky, and the interface leaves much to be desired. The Classic Editor that was available in the My Sites interface before this recent switch was a much cleaner version than this and it was perfect for what it was meant for.

>The editor that has been removed is our own internal version of that editor that lived in the My Sites interface. It is not feasible for us to continue maintaining three separate editors for WordPress.com, and that version of the classic editor will not be coming back.

Please note that I’m not even asking that anyone should maintain that Editor version, just that you don’t remove it, and let it be the way it was. It’s really a shame to hear that it’s gone, just because, and you are not making any sense as to why this isn’t possible.

This is especially puzzling when there are still plugins like “Classic Editor Plugin” and “Remove Gutenberg Editor Plugin” available to business accounts; and these actually do nothing but remove the Block Editor to let users switch to the old Classic Editor that we know and love. I did a research, and found out very recently that these plugins are still wildly popular, with millions of active users. Furthermore, it just doesn’t make sense that a regular blogger with a wish for something so simple should have to upgrade to a business plan just to install any of these simple plugins, those that wouldn’t be necessary in the first place if WordPress did the one thing that makes sense, that is to let users keep the option.

Shame on you, WordPress, shame on you.

ethanf93

Hi @justjennifer, that was the first thing I tried, and I didn’t like it. Please see my response to kokkieh above.

justjennifer

This is especially puzzling when there are still plugins like “Classic Editor Plugin” and “Remove Gutenberg Editor Plugin” available to business accounts; and these actually do nothing but remove the Block Editor to let users switch to the old Classic Editor that we know and love.

Hello again, let me give you some back story, which I hope will make more sense of things:
    WPcom has two dashboards, WPAdmin at yoursite.wordpress.com/wp-admin/ which is the dashboard that comes from the WP software on which WPcom is based, and the MySite AKA Calypso dashboard, which WPcom introduced to its users in November 2015. From 2005 to November 2015, WPcom for the most part used the WPAdmin dashboard exclusively.

The Block Editor, AKA Gutenberg, has been the only Editor in the WP software since December 2018. WPcom integrated it in the MySite dashboard along side the newly renamed “classic editor” in November 2018.

What we see in our WPAdmin dashboard now is the Classic Editor plugin installed and provided to us by WPcom. We do not need to upgrade to add it to our WPcom sites and it is only possible to have that plugin installed in WPAdmin. Were it not for that plugin, we would be using the Block Editor there, just like the WP software does.

WPcom prioritized the Block Editor in MySites, so it isn’t possible any longer to use the Classic Editor in the MySite dashboard. If we would like to use the Classic Editor now, we can write in WPAdmin or the alternative is to use the Classic Block in the MySite dashboard. Those are our choices.

The quickest way to get to the WP Admin’s New Post at yoursite.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post-new.php is to bookmark it in your browser’s bookmark toolbar. That is what we suggested to users who wanted to return to the original “Classic Editor” when WPcom introduced the MySite Editor.

I understand this is not the answer you are looking or hoping for.

ethanf93

Hi @justjennifer,

Thanks a lot for the back story. I got a better picture of what’s going here now, and I guess in the end it’s best to simply accept the change, get used to the new Editor and then we all can move on. (After all, I’ve considered other options for blogging, and even though there might be things I don’t like about it, WordPress is still a vastly superior platform compared to what’s available currently.)

Admittedly this was a rather selfish request of mine and I’m sorry for blaming you guys when it’s not really your fault. This isn’t the answer I was looking or hoping for, but when there’s nothing we can do about it, I really do appreciate that you took your time to write back. Have a nice day!

rkhouse

I am a software programmer. I personally do not find these excuses by WP programmers at all satisfactory. I also do not like the block editor at all. It is now very hard to do anything with my sites. For me, the only solution I see is to switch to blogger and try that system out. If blogger is unsatisfactory, I’ll probably just give up blogging. I could write my own website, I suppose, but it’s probably not worth the effort. I do it for fun, not for frustration. WP has lost a customer as soon as I am sure I’ve safely extracted my sites.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.