Tables & WordPress.com

• Author

drcorner

I’ve searched and search, but I can’t seem to find anything useful on how to do tables easily right from WordPress.com (doing it via HTML is fine for me too)…thanks in advance for any help.

arifsali

Unless you’re having specific problem, I think tables in html just work fine at wordpress.com.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp

andrew

@dr: I can’t seem to find anything useful on how to do tables easily right from WordPress.com.
    Neither can I. So I tend to use Google Docs and paste the htnl into WordPress.com. That’s far from perfect (e.g. no table sort in gDocs) but it workds for me.

drcorner

Thanks, ari’…

andrew, do you encounter any alignment issues, or text out of whack?

Any additional help would great from others who have found solutions as well…and as previously said: thanks in advance.

sulz

you could just make a print screen of the table, make it into an image and upload it too.

drcorner

^That’s the easy way out…and it takes about bandwidth and slows down load times. Not too mention they’re not searchable.

rosclarke

I bet panghiotisadam knows how. I expect he’ll be along in a little while…

arifsali

If I have used tables then I have kept things to minimum and I may have only used it for pictures when I do not prefer gallery.

<table border="0">
    <tr>
    <td>row 1, cell 1</td>
    <td>row 1, cell 2</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>row 2, cell 1</td>
    <td>row 2, cell 2</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Above does the trick for me when I insert images using the wordpress’s image upload tool along with all the aligning through it.

sulz

well, drcorner, you did ask for an easy method. you didn’t exactly specified something that doesnt take bandwidth and slows down loading time. not that bandwidth is a problem as wp.com, and that there are image sizes to choose that will not slow loading times… how unsearchable they can be depends on how you name it i suppose.

According to vivianpaige, tables are very easy to create in Windows Live Writer and transfer to wp.

Apart from that, all kinds of tables or almost any other formatting is possible (but not exactly easy…) using html. Do you have a particular problem?

drcorner

Thanks for all those who’ve replied so far…

ari’, thanks that’s pretty much what I used to do, but I never tried it with WordPress, so I was afraid their might ben issues with display (my questions above to Andrew)…

pan’, thanks for the response…I totally forgot about viv’…thanks the sort of thing that might be the most helpful here….how is Live Writer? I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but early on I heard their were conversion and upload issues to some blogs (sorry, I don’t remember the specifics)….have you encountered any issues with it on WordPress.com?

Thanks again to all…

vivianpaige

WLW is a wonderful way to solve nearly all of the posting problems we see in these forums. Want colored fonts? Not a problem. Want different fonts? Not a problem. Want to do tables? Not a problem.

Anyone who is trying to do anything complicated here should check out WLW. (Now, truth be told, I don’t use WLW very often. But when I do, it’s because I want to be able to do things that take a whole lot of energy and/or knowledge to do.)

drcorner

Thanks again for all the help…much obliged.

chelledge

The only issue I’ve had with WLW and tables is you have to remember to size your overall table to fit your blog template. For some reason WLW doesn’t adjust tables to the right size for me but once in WP editor I just grab a corner and size them to 500 pixels width if I let them get too wide. Also the tables aren’t editable once up; ie inserting a row, sorting, so you need to do all that in WLW. In fact, I haven;t found a way to add a row to a table once published even to append a row to the end. So, I just save my WLW draft and update that then republish. It’s not that big a deal to do, really. I’m probably doing it the hard way but it gets it done.

The topic ‘Tables & WordPress.com’ is closed to new replies.