Spam email subscribers?

• Author

wcdesigns

I’ve been getting email subscriber notifications almost every day for the last week or so. All of the email addresses are 18 or more random letters @outlook.com. I think it’s spam. But I don’t know who to correct the issue. Please advise.

The blog I need help with is wcdesigns.wordpress.com.

chainringz

ok, this is happening to one of our blogs, too, with mostly @outlook.com emails as well.

I had a chat yesterday with WP help about page view stats for 1/17 that were really excessive, and we suspect something is wonky with either stat reporting or visitor tracking—we see avg daily views of 50-150, and this day saw 600+ views without any new posts. Also, there are no referrers listed for most of this traffic, so I’m thinking bananas.

WP help says nothing looks unusual. I disagree!

fstat
    Staff

Hi there,

We’re aware of this issue and we’re working to block these spam followers. We cannot just block all @outlook.com emails, though, as that will also block many real people from following your sites, so this isn’t just a quick simple fix.

I know this is incredibly annoying, but I also want to reassure you that there is no way these spam followers can put your site, your content or your private account data in any danger. It just increases the number of email notifications WordPress.com needs to send out for each new post, so if anything it’s an attempted attack on us trying to overload our email servers, not on your sites or accounts.

You can remove the spam followers under My Sites > People, but that won’t prevent new follows from coming in. You might also consider temporarily disabling email notifications of new followers in your account settings until we manage to get these blocked. You’ll still see a notification each time in the WordPress.com admin bar, but at least you won’t have your inbox flooded with emails from fake subscriptions.

Please don’t email these addresses back – another potential reason for this is that someone is fishing for emails which they can then use to try and spam directly, and emailing them back will only provide them with your personal email address – something they cannot get hold of by merely following your site.

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

wcdesigns

Fstat, Thank you for your response. I’m glad it’s not just me and that the issues are being looked into. I agree that block outlook emails is not an option but something like double verifying email accounts are real people before they are an allowed to subscribe. Just my humble suggestion.

Hi wcdesigns – I’m following up here for fstat. We appreciate the suggestion.

justjennifer

@wcdesigns – It’s also my understanding from this Staff reply https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/weird-followers/page/3?replies=49#post-3064901 that Staff are working to remove those spam followers directly from WordPressdotcom so you don’t have to. However, if you feel more comfortable removing them manually, you can do so following our support guide here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/followers/#how-to-remove-a-follower

Staff also advised that they will provide updates to this issue in the above thread. If you would like to receive email updates on this topic, you can subscribe to that thread by clicking on the Subscribe to Topic link in that thread’s sidebar. Thanks

That’s correct, we are working to remove the spam followers.

julespaige

Thank you – I saw that the spam followers were removed. – After I removed a few myself. But then the twit moved to trying to put comment on posts. Using different names for different outlook accounts, all different. Over 80 -100 in two days on my site.

I was concerned with them stealing my work. So I closed that blog (after about 5 years at the same place) and started a new blog.

I have an extensive list of the bogus emails as well as some of the comment attempts that were all for lack of a better description slightly altered pre-programmed baloney.

justjennifer

@julespaige Hello there, I’ve tagged your own thread at https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/bogus-outlook-addresses?replies=3#post-3067431 for Staff attention. Please return there for any further follow up. Thanks.

I’ll go ahead and close this thread.

For anyone else having the issue of spam outlook.com followers, Staff are removing them internally, but you can follow the main thread at https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/weird-followers for further updates.

The topic ‘Spam email subscribers?’ is closed to new replies.