Spam deletion feature/widget

• Hi there,
    My blog gets a lot of spams around 1000, more or less, regularly.
    I think nobody wants to read them one by one, and Akismet never fails!
    Its easy to delete them in batch by clicking ‘Empty Spam’. However, WP always gives error (503) when the spam messages are many, and I should repeat the process several times until all are deleted. Annoying. :(
    Do you consider to offer an automated spam deletion widget or option like the ones available for WP.org?
    Thank you for your attention.
    Best

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi openreel,

I’m glad to hear Akismet is doing its job :) What is the address of the site where you are seeing a 503 error when batch deleting batch comments?

Does this only happen when deleting large amounts of spam comments? Or even when you are only deleting a few at a time (less than a page in the WP Admin dashboard)?

Just let me know and we can go from there.

• Hi Emma, (sorry, if misspelled)

Thank you for your kind attention!

https://erkanumut.wordpress.com

This only happens when deleting large amounts of spam comments.

All the Best,

Erkan

• Thanks Erkan. I’m not terribly surprised if you get that error when deleting huge batches of spam.

I do have good news though:

Do you consider to offer an automated spam deletion widget or option like the ones available for WP.org?

We actually already delete older spam for you automatically. Or at least we normally do that. If that’s not happening for you, would you mind allowing some spam to accumulate, then contacting us here?

• Hi,

Right now, I have Spam (1,619).

Thanks!

Erkan

(P.S.: I think you have deleted some for me very before first time.)

• Hi Erkan –

When I look at the spam from here, I only see 10 pending items. Are we looking at 2 different things?

• Hi Liz,

Yes, because I have started the topic when I was on the blog you looked at. Its pity that we cannot edit that blog link just after we post!

The one I am talking about: https://erkanumut.wordpress.com

• Thanks! What you’re describing has already been caught by our internal spam filters, which is good, because they’re working. You really don’t need to do anything about it. Every 30 days we automatically delete all of that from the system for you. It won’t affect your site performance in any way.

If it’s ok with you, I can try and delete a page from my end and see if the error displays.

It won’t hurt to try the following:

– use a different browser
    – clear browser cache
    – sign out + back in to WordPress.com

• Hi Liz,

Thanks!

Is that what you mean by deleting a spam message already caught from your end?

• Yes. I can try and delete a page of spam that has already been caught by the filter to see if the same error appears.

• Please do so.
    Thanks!

• @openreel, sorry, to clarify, the system will automatically delete spam that’s 30 days old. That’s what I’d meant to check on for you, so if that is not working, can you let us know? Right now there aren’t any spam comments that are older than that.

If you try bulk deleting too many things at once, it’s possible to get a server error. ~1600 was fine, but several thousand can time out.

• The topic ‘Spam deletion feature/widget’ is closed to new replies.