Somewhat leery

• Hello all:

This will be my first time buying a domain and the hosting done with WordPress. I’m going with the $60 a year package, as I only need enough space for a blog. (I had gone with another outfit 20 + years ago). I have the product in my cart and I keep clicking in and out of it because I’m afraid of making the final commitment. I guess I’m afraid of having buyer’s remorse if I do buy it. Can anyone here tell me if I should or should not go with WordPress? Would appreciate some of your opinions. Thank you.

-Ella

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Ella!

WordPress is an incredibly versatile site builder. The starter plan you noted is great for blogging and more. On top of this WordPress has some of the best support out there so if you ever have difficulties it is super easy to reach a real human. I would recommend giving it a shot!

Magnus

• Just to add to what @magnusholmes mentioned, the WordPress.com upgrade plans also have a 14-day refund window (from date of purchase, 96 hours for custom domains) so you can try out the upgrade features and see if it’s a good fit for you. You can learn more about the refund policy here: https://wordpress.com/support/refunds/

All the features of the Starter plan are mentioned here: https://wordpress.com/support/starter-plan/

Unless you need those extra features right from the beginning, you can also start with the totally free plan and then upgrade to the Starter plan later.

Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

• Thank you ever so much, Magnus and Jennifer. You both have put my mind at ease. I can’t wait to get started! Thank you both and have a wonderful Sunday!

Kind regards,
    -Ella

P.S. Jennifer, I do have a free plan, but I wasn’t sure how far my page would reach the internet. I want to show my blog to the world!

• Glad to help. All WordPress.com websites have excellent reach, free sites included, and WordPress.com has years of experience helping its users “get out there”. You can find lots of excellent information, regardless of your plan, in this guide: https://wordpress.com/support/getting-more-views-and-traffic/

• Hey there,
    I am sure you wouldn’t regret buying/securing your own place in this global village. The Internet that has made me read n reply you from the other side of the planet.
    Regards
    Best of Luck

• Hello, all again.

So I went ahead and took the plunge and bought a domain, but I was chagrined to find out that there are ads at the bottom of my domain. So now, I’m getting ready to purchase a “No Ads,” plan. Would anyone happen to know if ALL ads are removed under this plan? Would appreciate any info. Thank you. -Ella

• Hi @ellabar

The No Ads upgrade will remove any ads that we insert into your pages directly, such as the one that appears on your blog post here: https://st-jude-thaddeus.com/2018/06/03/the-journey-begins/

Please note that the No Ads upgrade will not remove the footer credit “Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.”

You can however modify that footer credit to make it less obtrusive by choosing the WordPress logo option. You can do that by visiting the site customizer, and clicking on the Site Identity tab on the left: https://wordpress.com/customize/

For reference this video shows you how to do that: https://d.pr/v/BJKx4C

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• <font color = “purple”>Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your response and help. Your instructions worked out fine. Now, I have another question. I’ve uploaded an image for my profile picture which is great, but the image keeps showing up on my website above the title of my webpage also. I only want the image to be shown (like you see now) on the WP forums. So, is there a way to keep it from shown on my webpage/website? Would really appreciate any of your input. Thanks very much. -Ella </font>

• Hi again,

If you visit the same link to the customizer I shared above (where the settings for the footer are) take a look at the other tabs you see on the left and click on the Theme Options tab.

On the next page you will see a text box with your email address on it; this is what is linking your profile image to your site. just delete the text in that box and leave it blank, and you will no longer see the profile image in your site header.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks again, Jerry. It worked!

• Hi again:

I was looking around and clicking on things and I somehow deleted my entire page! Is there any way I can retrieve it? I’m heartbroken, as I can’t recall everything I had posted on it. :( Thank you for any help. -Ella

• Hi Ella,

I took a look at your site’s logs, but the only thing showing deleted there is the default post the site was created with.

I do see three unpublished pages on your site, though. To see them, go to Pages ->All Pages and click on Drafts at the top. Are those perhaps the content you’re looking for?

Click on any of those pages and change the status to published, to make them visible on your site again.

• Hi kokkieh,

Thank you for responding and trying to help me, but those aren’t the pages. The link is below. What I had written had a much longer narrative. I guess I could go back and try to reconstruct what I remember of it. If you go to the link below, you will see the page, only it missing what I had written. I’m still trying to find my way around, but I’m finding all of it somewhat confusing.

st-jude-thaddeus.com

What I would like to do there is to post just below the main header, but I’m not finding the way on how to do that. I would also like to change the white font to a different color. Is there a way I can? I’ve tried, but I can’t seem to find the way.

I’d much obliged for some insight. Thank you much. -Ella

• http://st-jude-thaddeus.com/ is the link for the homepage of your site. It’s showing “Nothing found” at the moment because it’s set to display latest posts, and you’ve deleted the one post that was published on your site, titled “The Journey Begins”, so at the moment there aren’t any posts to display.

If that post is the one you’re trying to get back, I’m afraid that’s impossible – you both deleted that post and then proceeded to remove it from the Trash folder, so it’s gone for good with no way to restore it.

If you want your front page to display the content you’ve added to the page titled “St. Jude Thaddeus (Saint of the Impossible)”, you need to first publish that page, and then set it as your site’s front page at Appearance ->Customize ->Homepage Settings.

I would also like to change the white font to a different color. Is there a way I can? I’ve tried, but I can’t seem to find the way.

You can find the custom color settings for your theme at Appearance ->Customize ->Colors and backgrounds, though this theme doesn’t have a setting to change the font color. The font color is set automatically based on the background color, and chosen color palette.

To control the text color directly, you’ll need to use custom CSS code on the Pro plan.

• Hello again,

So, if I wanted to go pro, and being that I’ve already paid for the starter plan and removal of ads, surely, it would not be an additional $180, right? So, what would the amount be to go Pro? Thank you much for your input.

-Ella

(P.S. Is there a way to change the color of the fonts on these posts)?

• Hey there,

If you decide to upgrade plans while in the middle of having another plan, you’ll see an upgrade discount while checking out if you’re eligible:

WordPress.com Plans [Redirects to Plans]

Everything will be prorated based on the price difference between plans and the remaining months you have in your monthly subscription.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

• Hi,

Thanks for your response and helpful info. What I would like to know is, will WordPress show me what the balance or difference will be before my card gets charged? Thank you. -Ella

• Howdy,

Yes, we will show you the price to be charged before you make a purchase.

• The topic ‘Somewhat leery’ is closed to new replies.