Something that would help.

• In helping people with using the block editor (and the classic block), the most common confusion comes from the user not knowing they accidently started a new block.

Two ways it could be helped:

1) a light border around each block (that would not show when published).

2) a marker of sorts indicating the end of the block (I suggest this to new users: put something at the end of the block to remind you where it stops and a new block takes over)

Some people don’t seem to realize that typing outside any one block will create a new block. In fact, they can have multiple blocks and not know it because there’s nothing delineating them.

Just a thought.

ejd

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Thanks for the feedback, we’ll pass it on to the block editor team.

• Yes this is what I need too.

It’s why I haven’t used wordpress as much. It was hard enough trying to figure out this block thing, now I can’t even see where I’m typing and have to blindly click around a lot.

The only things I can think of is

changing the background of a classic block, saving it as a reusable block, adding it to a new post, changing it back to a normal block, WRITING, and then removing the formatting before I post.
      using the HTML editor
      use something cookie-cutter like squarespace or tumblr or something

I am not going to do the first. I’ve got ADHD and I get confused and frustrated easily, and also overcomplicate things as it is. I have challenges with filtering and prioritizing information. It’s going to stress me out.

The HTML one sounds better since I’m learning coding/programming anyway, but it’s still annoying if I want to use mobile. The basic rich text-editor (like the olden days online) interface is what I really need.

I don’t want to use those other sites because no and because of censorship issues.

I imagine for people with visual issues, the lack of clear delineation between blocks is also challenging. I think this classic block idea is a cool solution, but having a setting that toggles clear borders around each block is necessary for that to work for me.

I’ve been at a loss. I like how wordpress is more customizable, open-minded as an environment, and private. I’ve been using it on and off since I was at least 15, so that’s 13 years now. But in terms of accessibility, for the past few years it’s really only been adding more obstacles for me, rather than getting out of my way.

It’s not just wordpress though. On various androids and PC, the newer editing interfaces for both evernote and wordpress have always been glitchy for me. The cursor jumps around, or I backspace and it backspaces elsewhere, or I go back to fix a typo and it combines unrelated words…. I type really stream of consciousness so it’s frustrating.

I don’t know why these issues are so consistent between evernote (mobile mainly?) and wordpress (everywhere) and some other platforms, but the feel for the editors are similar. I wonder if there’s something in the infrastructure that prevents simple toggling between a rich-text editor and the fancier interfaces, and I also wonder what languages (?) they’re written in. Or if the motive for not having simple HTML interfaces are more security or business related.

Anyway, rambling/off-topic.

• @astralpasta,

I think this classic block idea is a cool solution, but having a setting that toggles clear borders around each block is necessary for that to work for me.

Hi. This doesn’t address the other issues that you mention above, but one block classic might be the only block required in a post. Within a single classic block, as is the case with the WP-Admin editor that it resembles, you may insert text, galleries, images, links, lists, tables, buttons, and more. No other blocks required to do that.

• . . . except polls . . . it’s awkward insertingpolls because the classic block doesn’t work like the classic editor in that regard.

For that matter, the poll block still has issues.

The point is that there is a difference between “can” be done and “can be easily done”.

I can certainly pound a nail in with a wrench, but it’s a lot easier with a hammer. Meaning, I get annoyed when someone takes my hammer away and asks me to use a wrench in its place. I say that because that’s how it feels at the moment.

• @disperser,

Yeah, you’re probably right. I haven’t tried to do much with the classic block, but I was surprised to find that adding a gallery was as simple as it was, though the the fact that the My Sites media library has no search tool is preposterous. That someone designed it that way is absurd, but that a search tool hasn’t been added to the media library during the 5 years or so, whatever it is, of it’s existence is incomprehensible. The media library alone is reason enough for me to avoid the block editor for about 99.999% of the work I need to do on a website.

I was simply trying to let @astrapasta know that multiple blocks might not be necessary. I could have also made it clear that I vastly prefer the WP-Admin editor (which WordPress, after trying to make people forget it for 5 or 6 years, is now calling the “Classic Editor”), the editor that I’ve been using for 12 years, in various versions.

• Ahh I got so excited about the plugin but I guess I have to pay $300 to be able to use it. I didn’t know wordpress.com users could no longer use any additional plugins. It won’t even let me delete the default plugins about stats and marketing now.

Welp, I guess I’m behind a paywall. That’s nuts though. Their page on plugins says that they include the most popular plugins on WordPress.com, but the Classic editor seems to be in the top 3.

Ah, yeah I tried sticking to one block. It seems like whenever I make a new paragraph or press enter it creates a new block. So even if I’m using a classic block, if I start a new paragraph it kicks me out and makes a new regular block. The main way around it seems to be SHIFT+ENTER for making a new paragraph.

Ah I give up. I’ll stick to journaling on paper 😂 hahaha, or I’ll start building my own local webblog. That can be a good personal project too anyway. It’s too much! haha. I’m just trying to write! 😅 At least if I write IRL I can also doodle on paper and not have the front of my notebook tell me “you’ve gotta meet those quotas!” Yeesh. Also, rainbow gel pens. ✨🌈👌🏾

It seems kinda silly to fight the tech trend of more volatility, less reliability (and everything/everyone being a brand, and privacy issues) if the easy solution is to avoid relying on it where I can. wuwei and all that. Though I could also make a magazine like I’ve been wanting since I have Publisher through my school now. Just for myself. That sounds exciting too. hmm.

(….welp, I’ve been distracted for ….hours. it is time to go)

Thanks for your help though! I think if that plugin was available it would have solved all my problems, but it was good to find out it existed since it helped clarify my next steps. It’s good anyway. I’m glad I came here.

Also, I know everyone has different purposes for their sites so I hope you find your solution, disperser, or that the site gets better at helping deliver what you’re needing (or stops being counterproductive) to you and your aims.

Good luck to the both of you, whatever your endeavors are!

• astralpasta,

The classic editor is free, and still available to every WordPress.com member, at WP-Admin. For how to access the WP-Admin editor, see this post on page 3 of the recent topic block vs classic.

• I like this idea for the block editor too.

• The topic ‘Something that would help.’ is closed to new replies.