Semalt.com

• Author

jackiedana

Allow me to tackle a few things here.

First of all, the spam referrer link is currently available only for users on WordPress.com. It may be rolled into a future Jetpack release but is not available in Jetpack stats currently.

Regardless of where Semalt may be located, I’d like to reassure everyone that there is no security risk to your site based on a referrer link.

Finally, to @sabrasmith, if you are still experiencing issues logging into or viewing a site on WordPress.com, please post a new thread in the forums and add the tag “modlook” so we can assist you directly.

lcsterling

It is damn creepy, though, to see so many “visits.”

timethief

Meh … I have much bigger fish to fry like answering questions here so I rarely even lay eyes on my stats more than once daily.

pepfry

Hi Guys,

Me also seeing “Semalt” in my site [pepfry.com] analytics “Referrer” section. Its being almost a week since I have seen it in the analytics – Now it has increased the views to 25 views per day…

It’s really a spam – When I click the link it takes me to its login page. I see that there is an option for “WordPress.com” – Is there any such thing for self hosted sites “WordPress.org” sites?

Thanks!
    Sumesh M.S

disc440

If Semalt is indeed harmless why can’t WordPress find a way to get rid of it. I am just tired of seeing it and given all that’s going in the world today with spying it’s bothersome.

rpsellers

There are some discussions about blocking the semalt crawler via htaccess. The two most common methods are inserting one of the following at the end of the .htaccess file:

# block visitors referred from semalt.com
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} semalt\.com [NC]
    RewriteRule .* – [F]

– or –

SetEnvIfNoCase Via evil-spam-proxy spammer=yes
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer evil-spam-domain.com spammer=yes
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer evil-spam-keyword spammer=yes
    SetEnvIfNoCase Via pinappleproxy spammer=yes
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer semalt.com spammer=yes
    SetEnvIfNoCase Referer poker spammer=yes

Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    Deny from env=spammer

My experience is that these (I’ve added both as the first didn’t seem to make any difference) don’t totally get rid of the semalt referrals, but they cut them way down. I was averaging over 20 / day before, and since have only had 2 or 3.

lcsterling

This seems helpful … can you please advise where one finds the .htaccess file?

thanks,
    LS

rpsellers

@Icsterling: Your .htaccess file is found in the root folder where your WordPress installation is (self-hosted WP, that is; I’m not sure where or if you’d find it if your blog is on WP.com). It’s not accessible through the theme editor – only server side. (Hint: Copy it before doing any changes in case you inadvertently make any changes that affect your site!)

I might have been a bit off topic here on the WP.com forum but like others above, I’ve been stymied because the jetpack on self hosted sites doesn’t have the “report spam” capability and this crawler’s driving me crazy.

timethief

@rpsellers
    @lcsterling
    Yours is an off-topic conversation that ought not to be posted here in the WordPress.com support forums because posting it here will likely create confusion. Please move your conversation to the correction support forum at http://wordpress.org/support/ If you don’t have a username account at WordPress.ORG click http://wordpress.org/support/ and register one on the top right hand corner of the page that opens, so you can post to the support forums there and receive advice from WordPress.ORG bloggers.

rpsellers

@ timethief

Thanks for the proclamation of the obvious! I notice you haven’t replied with the same snark for all the others “off topic” above in this thread. Not helpful…

lcsterling

don’t understand TT – isn’t this all related to “get semalt off my site!?”

lcsterling

@ rpsellers – self-hosted WP site. Thanks.

timethief

Your site is not a free hosted WordPress.com blog.
    http://www.compellingconcepts.com/ is a WordPress.ORG install.
    This is the WordPress.com support forum.

lcsterling

Found a plugin: WP htaccess Control

Have activated it and will see what happens.

LS

timethief

As Staff jackiedana has already said here https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/semaltcom-2?replies=33#post-1676963

Allow me to tackle a few things here.

First of all, the spam referrer link is currently available only for users on WordPress.com. It may be rolled into a future Jetpack release but is not available in Jetpack stats currently.

Regardless of where Semalt may be located, I’d like to reassure everyone that there is no security risk to your site based on a referrer link.

@rpsellers
    Please note the confusion that arises from posting to the wrong support forum. Please move your conversation to where it belongs.

timethief

@staff
    This hijacked thread has outlived it’s usefulness for WordPress.COM users. Please close it.

rpsellers

Oh please… I mentioned in my original post that while I might be off topic, I was answering another person’s question – one that had already been mentioned above. Such melodrama – a “hijacked thread” is not only unnecessary and unhelpful but also why so many of us on BOTH the .com and .org forums try to ignore overly-officious types… if the shoe fits?

lcsterling

Apologies – didn’t understand the difference or that I might be in the wrong place. In fact, I still don’t understand … is this not part of Automatic?

timethief

lcsterling

Thanks – not being a designer I didn’t know about the distinction.

best,
    Ls

The topic ‘Semalt.com’ is closed to new replies.