Same blog, new domain name

• Hello,
    I would like to change the domain of my wordpress.com blog, and I bought the domain for one year.
    Now, that year is about to come to an end, and I would like to know how to keep the same blog, with the same structure and content, AND change the domain from trvangle.com to something else.
    Should I wait until it expires, and then change the blog name, or buy the domain,
    OR
    Should I buy the new domain, and somehow transfer the content to that site.

what is the most effective, safest way to keep my blog as it is, and change the domain

thanks

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• All you need to do is register a new domain name and then switch that domain to be your site’s “primary” domain. You can then allow the old domain to expire.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

• So, by switching that domain to “primary”, all the content is tranferred immediately, or do I have to undergo any sort of process to bring the content from one to the other?

• also, if that is the case that the content is saved and transferrable,
    can I switch from wordpress.com to wordpress.org

thanks!

• So, by switching that domain to “primary”, all the content is tranferred immediately, or do I have to undergo any sort of process to bring the content from one to the other?

Custom domains are more like just changing the address on your house rather than actually packing up everything in your house and moving to new neighborhood. The house and its contents are there, it’s just the numbers on the front that are different. This is why every WordPress.com site has an underlying ________.WordPress.com URL.

also, if that is the case that the content is saved and transferrable,
    can I switch from wordpress.com to wordpress.org

Moving to a self-hosted WordPress.org site is much more like packing everything everything up and moving to a new neighborhood. If it is something you decide to do, we have a guide here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/#moving-to-wordpress-org

As we only support sites hosted here at WordPress.com, all issues with the new site – including the importing of the file – must be taken to the WordPress.org support community:

http://wordpress.org/support/

If you’d like assistance moving your WordPress.com site to WordPress.org, we have a service called Guided Transfer that does all the work for you. Check it out to see if it’s right for you:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/guided-transfer/

• Please let me know if you have further questions or if anything is unclear.

• Hi, Josh

I do appreciate the help, and yet I remain confused. Do I just have to change the primary blog for all of my current content to go from the previous blog to the one I am about to create?

Thanks a lot

• So, if we return to your original request for a moment:

I would like to know how to keep the same blog, with the same structure and content, AND change the domain from trvangle.com to something else.

If you want to keep the EXACT same site (posts, pages, design, images, etc), but have a new ______.com domain associated with it, all you need to do is to register/map a new domain and set that new domain to be your primary domain. You will not need to move any content nor will the system need to move any content. You are just giving your old “house” a new “mailing address”.

to the one I am about to create?

Now, if you need to create a totally NEW site for some reason, then I’ll have to give you some additional instructions. But if you are referencing a “new” site when you really just mean the new domain, then my instructions above remain correct.

• Thank you so much. I am certain that all I need is a new domain, so not only do I thank you for your effort explaining creatively, but also for your patience!
    All clear and good to go now.

• Absolutely not a problem.

Happy to help!

• The topic ‘Same blog, new domain name’ is closed to new replies.