Rowling Theme- Homepage Layout Issue

• I’m running the Rowling theme on the free versions of WordPress.com. The format doesn’t look right on the main home page of my blog (Science On: https://scienceonblog.wordpress.com/). Specifically, the featured images on my posts have been pushed together, leaving no gap between the featured images. The first three “rows” of images and posts are fine right now. It’s everything following that that has been squished together.

This is a recent phenomenon- I noticed it about a week or two ago. Oddly, it is affecting posts that I made 2+ months ago. At that time, the homepage was fine.

I’ve checked the website on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge- the same effect is seen on all three. (I even tried this on two computers just to make sure it wasn’t my own laptop, though perhaps I just have rotten luck…)

I haven’t done any customization to the layout.

And I did try the “turn it off and on again” approach by changing themes and then going back to Rowling, but the problem persists.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

I have gone through rowling theme description here. https://wordpress.com/theme/rowling

It has been written as below in Featured Image section

To help tell your story visually, Rowling uses Featured Images as entry points to your posts. They’re displayed just below the title on blog posts. On index and archive pages — which have a grid layout — Featured Images are displayed as thumbnails above the post title. For optimal results, select a Featured Image at least 1200px wide.

Couldn’t be an issue lie on image width which might be smaller than 1200px?

• Hi-

I also saw the 1200px suggestion. I did consider that. I haven’t gone through to change out all the featured images- I didnt think it was an image problem. This problem is affecting all posts on the home page from 2+ months ago (dating back to April 2016), regardless of how large or small the featured image is. These posts were fine a few weeks ago, so it would have had to be a change in the theme, I think.

Meanwhile, more recent posts (<2 months) are unaffected. These recent “working” posts- I believe- have images on the scale of the earlier “broken” posts.

I can try to play around with the images, but I will need to sit and figure out away to do it logically with minimal damage to my current posts.

• Hi there,

Just to add-

I think there might be a problem with the post Surface Composition in “Walkin’ on the Sun. This is just an assumption.

Could you please try converting this post back to draft again.

Go to My Sites->Blog Posts. Select the post with the title Surface Composition in “Walkin’ on the Sun.
    Open the Status module on the right. There is button Revert to Draft. Click it. Your post will turn to draft and won’t show on the front page.

Please check if this helps otherwise, you can publish the post again.

• Hi-

I tried the suggestion and temporarily moved the “Walkin’ on the Sun” post to draft. The homepage still displayed the same issue in row 4. Because the issue was there even without the post, I restored it.

I also tried this with the post before (Ignition in Fahrenheit 451) and the post after (Test Tube Thunderstorm). The issue still persisted with those posts in draft, so I restored them as well.

• Small update-

I’ve noticed that initially, the first 7 posts load correctly. At post 8 (currently “Ignition in Fahrenheit 451”), there’s a slight delay, and it pops up directly next to post 7 (currently “Surface Composition in “Walkin’ on the Sun.” The rest then appear it the wrong manner.

It does not appear to matter what the actual posts are (I swapped a few around and the effect still exists), only that it affects post 7 onwards.

• Hi @geekkes,

Does the issue persist if the infinite scrolling feature is disabled in Settings > Writing?

Infinite Scroll

• Before you try disabling Infinite Scrolling, please try setting the amount of posts shown on the page to 8 instead of 7 in Settings > Reading > Blog page shows at most:

https://scienceonblog.wordpress.com/wp-admin/options-reading.php

I think I can see what’s causing the problem.

The theme adds a margin to every second post to create a gap between them, but the Infinite Scroll feature kicks in on an odd number (7).

That means that the margin is applied to the wrong post for every post after the seventh one.

If changing the amount of posts shown to 8 doesn’t work, please try disabling Infinite Scrolling completely, then check if posts appear correctly when the ‘older posts’ button is clicked.

• Hi garysixtyeight,

The setting you mentioned (Settings>Reading>Blog Pages Show at Most) was originally set to 10. I tried a variety of different values (2, 6, 7, 8, 10) and they all produced the incorrect homepage.

Disabling infinite scrolling does “fix” the issue. Posts appear correctly when the older button is clicked. So it does appear to be an issue with the Infinite Scroll feature.

• If you’d like the Infinite Scroll feature to work correctly, can you enable it again so I can try troubleshooting it further?

I’m unable to recreate the issue you’re experiencing on a test site.

If you’re happy with the way the site is, you can leave it disabled.

• Hi garysixtyeight,

I’ve re-enabled Infinite Scroll to play around with. I would prefer to have Infinite Scroll on, so you can figure out what’s going on, let me know! Thank you!

• Thank you.

Please set the site to display 8 posts on the home page.

• “Blog pages shown at most” is now set to 8. Thank you for looking into this!

• In the post titled “Astronomy Names in Harry Potter”, it looks like HTML has been added to italicise some of the text.

Please open that post, then make sure that there is an <em> before the name ‘Harry Potter’ in the title, and also a closing </em> after the name.

I think there might be a missing closing </em> which could be causing problems.

• Hi garysixtyeight,

You have solved the issue! I added the and it is all fixed. Thank you so much! I’m so sorry to have taken up your time on such a silly mistake. Thank you!

• You’re welcome, glad I could help :)

• The topic ‘Rowling Theme- Homepage Layout Issue’ is closed to new replies.