Rollback site

• Hi, A friend has had some unwanted changes made to her site. Possibly including changing the theme. How can we roll back to site to a previous version? Or view a history of changes that we can step back through?

Thanks
    Jasmine

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Jasmine,

We will need to know the URL of your friend’s site. Please respond with it starting with http://

If you know the theme your friend was using they should be able to go to WP Admin > Appearance > Themes and re-set back to the previous theme. This can also make various pages/etc. show up. Let me know if that helps any.

We look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Hi

It’s https://jadeherriman.com/

She doesn’t remember the previous theme and her description of it is too vague to help me find it. I’ve asked her if she has screenshots but nothing so far.

I’ve made a few basic changes to assign the menu to the primary location as someone has just changed the theme on the site without doing the rest of the needed changes. She had another user with admin access for some work done quite some time ago and suspect this is who made the changes. We’ve already cut off that access.

If it was self hosted I could just restore from a backup but it doesn’t seem like WordPress.com offers this. She’s on a premium subscription.

• Hi there,

Have you tried google cached pages to find the theme? I plugged in her site and looked at the source code, I believe she was using Motif.

Let me know if this helps

• Gotcha, thanks for the additional information! Unfortunately as far as I know there is not and undo or revert button for theme changes. This means you will have to go search for the theme in the theme directory and activate it again. And thanks @tehila440 that was one of the next things I was going to recommend :)

@Jasmine see if you can look at Motif and if it looks familiar to you. If it does (or even if not) you can activate it and see if things re-populate. If none of that works we can ping this thread for staff assistance.

• Ah of course… I usually use the wayback machine to do those kinds of checks. Completely forgot about that!! I’ll go grab some screenshots to work from as I assume that the content will need to be added again eg the featured image and text blocks.

I’ve messaged the client to make sure that’s the right theme and that she’s around to answer questions on layout so it’s not sitting in a state for too long.

This kind of thing is so much easier with self hosted wordpress, i could have had it fixed in 2 minutes. But I decided earlier this year to reacquaint myself with wordpress.com as it’s come a long way in recent years.

I really appreciate your help @nixiack8 and @tehila440

• Anytime! I hope everything works out.

• Hi @gidgetginsu, they were using apostrophe-2 until about 4 hours ago. Does that help?

We don’t have rollback features on this particular plan, but staff can see the logs to see what was changed. I hope that helps!

• Oh, and before that she was using Motif.

• The topic ‘Rollback site’ is closed to new replies.