Recovery a hacked blog

• This post was originally posted to brazilian support. I would like to share here too to reach more people and help. I apologize for any grammatical errors.

Hello! I would like to introduce myself before I explain about the help I need. My name is Victor Noleto, I’m 24 years old and I live in Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil. I am a computer engineering student, I work in the area and I am an aspiring writer, so to speak. Writing about what I find interesting has always been something I enjoyed doing and had as a vocation. Nowadays it is not a hobby that I practice a lot, but let’s go back a few years in my history.

A long time ago (10 years specifically) I was playing a game called AdventureQuest Worlds. It is an MMORPG that is played in the browser itself. During this time I was a very addicted player. At the time we had orkut, the communities, but I wanted to go further, I wanted to have a blog, write about the game. It was then that I met WordPress. It was then that in early 2009, me, Victor Hugo Noleto Camargo created the blog AQWorlds Brasil (aqworldsbrasil.wordpress.com).

It is noteworthy that at the time I was a child. I started the blog in 2009, but I’ve been playing for about 2~3 years. By the accounts I was about 14 years old and the blog was growing, growing… Of course I didn’t do it alone, I had friends, whom I met in the game itself, who were the “moderators” and who helped me with creating content for the blog. I really appreciate this time I had, it helped me a lot. Much of my English knowledge I have been able to translate the news, read and perfect the translations.

The blog reached 1 million visits, 2 million, 3, 5, 10… That over time was not a blast overnight, but I dedicated myself to that blog, even more than to the game. I remember that WordPress had a page that showed “the most active blogs, the most read blogs of the day” something like that – and my blog, a game blog, run by me, a kid at the time – was among the first.

It was very gratifying to see the success and rise of the blog, and especially the recognition was cool. The game is American and we were creating a Brazilian community and the blog (had a chat inside) served as a “meeting point”, to play together etc. And unfortunately now is the time to get into the real reason for my call for help, because unfortunately this story had a sad ending for me.

On a certain day, in a certain year (which I won’t remember for sure now) the blog was hacked. I was actually hacked. They hacked my email (probably a brute force, my password was just numbers), logged into the WordPress account, and changed the admin user. It was horrible, because it was a blow. They hacked to get me out of there and continued without me. After a while talking to someone here and there I found out that it was someone I trusted, had as a friend and was one of the moderators of the blog.

Several years later and even I have no attachment to the game these days, I can not forget this episode and I feel very wrong. Since January 2017 the blog is down, forgotten and that hurts, it hurts me. I would like the last post there to be mine, thanking everyone for what all that time meant to me and how cool this experience I had.

So, I ask for help to know what I can do. I want to contact WordPress support, but I don’t know how. I don’t know if making a topic here is the most effective way. If you are reading this know something you can do to recover a blog (the admin account is no longer mine), please share. If you had the patience to read everything, I appreciate it. I made a point of telling the story because I would like to show that retrieving the blog is not a matter of revenge, but of consideration for everything I lived.

• Please send an email to passwordhelp (at) wordpress (dot) com explaining the situation, and we’ll see if there’s anything we can do for you.

• The topic ‘Recovery a hacked blog’ is closed to new replies.