Receiving duplicate emails for all notifications… how can I fix this?
Every comment, trackback, etc. results in two emails landing in my inbox, seemingly both to the same email address. I cannot figure out why this is happening, or how to correct it. Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated – thank you!
The blog I need help with is mathmaine.wordpress.com.
I’d be happy to investigate this for you. I have a few questions to help me start digging into this:
1. Does this happen for all emails you receive from WordPress.com (emails about activity on your own sites as well as emails about other people’s sites)? Or do you only get two emails if it’s about a comment, trackback, etc. on your own site?
2. Does this happen for emails about comments, trackbacks, etc. on all of your WordPress.com sites? (If not, please send me links to the sites that generate duplicate emails.)
3. Do the duplicate emails arrive in your inbox at the same time, or at different times?
4. Can you give me one or two examples of comments or trackbacks that you recently got two emails for?
1. I have not commented on other people’s sites in a long time, so I cannot answer this question.
3. Yes, the two emails arrive either at, or very close to, the same time.
4. Here are headers from two recent duplicate pingback messages:
Function Notation | Learning and Teaching Math commented on Function Translations
[…] additional topics related to Functions, see the following posts: Function Translations Function Dilations (and Translations) Domain and […]
Approve Trash | Mark as Spam
[Redacted by staff]
2. It seems that I am only receiving duplicates for my MathMaine blog
2. Woops… I also receive duplicate comment notices for
2. But NOT from yarmouthcan.wordpress.com
Thanks for sending along those details! I reported the issue to our team to investigate, and I’ll let you know as soon as I have more information.
We figured out why you’re getting these duplicate email notifications. Here’s what’s going on:
When a comment (or pingback, etc.) needs to be moderated, a notification is sent to both the blog admin and the author of the post. If those email addresses are the same, you’ll only get one email. However, if you have different email addresses listed under Settings > General (the blog admin email) and Users > Personal Settings (your account email) in your dashboard, you’ll get an email at each address.
You have the same email address in both places, but they are capitalized differently. Our system sees those as different email addresses, so it sends an email to each one. You can fix that by changing your email address in one of those places so they are capitalized the same way.
Please let me know if you have any questions about that!
Ahhh… those pesky capitals. It is totally frustrating how they are ignored in many places – but not in others. This seems true within Windows as well as on the Internet as a whole.
I will double check my capitalization now and see if that fixes things going forward.
Thank you for chasing this down!
You’re welcome! :) We’re also checking to see if we can fix this so it isn’t case sensitive in situations like this. Thanks for reporting it! Please let me know if it continues to be an issue.
The topic ‘Receiving duplicate emails for all notifications… how can I fix this?’ is closed to new replies.