Reblogged = stolen, so how can WP justify theft?

• I’m technically on vacation, so I haven’t tried the reblog feature here, but I use it on Tumblr all the time (like 10-30 times per day) and here is what it looks like:

My reblog of a post:
    http://raincoaster.tumblr.com/post/703706806/clients-from-hell-client-thats-way-too-much-money

Word count=56 reblogged plus 5 of my own. This was the way the reblog function chose to truncate the post.

Here is the original post:

http://clientsfromhell.net/post/701876876/client-thats-way-too-much-money-to-charge-for

Wordcount? In the thousands.

I’m sure any sophisticated person sees the difference.

Yes, WP.com should enable “reblog trails” and hopefully all on one line, rather than the way tumblr does it. But not enabling it isn’t the same as enabling theft. How many times have we all blogged something we saw somewhere without being aware it started somewhere else? Even BoingBoing does this, constantly posting links to Russian sites that simply reblog stuff from other places but UNCREDITED.

The WP.com function isn’t flawless, god knows, but it’s better than nothing, which is what we had a week ago.

• Thanks, Timethief (good on you for not being a CONTENT thief, too). When I imported, one or two of my videos worked, the rest didn’t. When I looked it up in “help,” I recall reading something about needing the paid subscription. I just worked around it. Took a lot of extra time, but I managed.

In any case, as much as I love WP, and as long and hard as I worked on making my category and tag clouds, I am now going to delete the entire blog because I understand there will not be a reblog opt-out option. And shimworld, I checked your reblog to see how it appears, and that’s just not good enough.

• you could always just set it as private.

• If it links back to the original writer during every single re-blog, then I don’t see a problem and see it as traffic to your blog. Unless the person rips the entire post and claims it’s theirs with never linking back or saying your name, like what happened to me recently, then that’s a case for public flogging!!

• If it links back to the original writer during every single re-blog, then I don’t see a problem and see it as traffic to your blog

Apparently, “that’s just not good enough.”

So, this beg the question .. how much more “sense of ownership” does WP have to incorporate into “Reblogged” feature before people feel comfortable with it. If 3 points of link backs don’t it I don’t see how else it can be improved upon? The feature is after all completely optional like a buffet meal, you don’t have to scoop every dish on your plate.

• But if you look at it this way how hundreds (or is it more?) of search engines pick up your writing, how millions (possibly? … lol) of aggregators pick up your writing too, then what’s the difference of an actual human versus software doing it? So I see it as if an actual person is picking up what I wrote and has the decency to link back, then it’s okay. But this re-blogging thing is a software though. I rather see the person do the actual cut & paste and linking back themselves instead of relying on software to do it for them. Somewhat lazy I say. I have no use for this re-blogging contraption and won’t be using it.

• I’ve read this conversation, and here is my two cents. I would be upset if my posts and photos showed up elsewhere without a credit to the source, for example, “The following article is quoted in its entirety from (name and date of blog a.k.a. bibliography or reference)” at a minimum. It would be even better if “with permission from the author” was included as well. I am a working/starving photojournalist and artist, admittedly from the old school, and those like me insist on being credited, and I don’t mean with a link button. Otherwise we call it plagiarism. If you blog, you know it’s a lot of work. When I happen to see a blog that’s not original, with at least some added original comment, I’m turned off by it and tend not to return. I use a lot of space in my sidebar to explain copyright because I feel so strongly about it. I’m not saying stuff isn’t being lifted. I’m saying it upsets me. Thanks for reading my two cents.

• The topic ‘Reblogged = stolen, so how can WP justify theft?’ is closed to new replies.