Reblog button has disappeared from blogs

• How to Find Out If Your Content Has Been Stolen
    http://www.google.com/alerts

Search for copies of your page on the web.
    http://www.copyscape.com/

• Timethief,
    Your suggestion that bloggers create a post and backlink to the original content is what I was addressing. In other words, when you say “create a post” when the subject is reblogging, you are saying to copy and paste the original content in the text box to “create” a post, and that means having ability to edit the original content.

The essential function of the reblog button was to prevent others from editing original content because it did not place the reblogged post in the text box of the reblogger.

• I am aware of the pingback function and have received pingbacks for years. They usually require approving from the moderation queue if you want it included in the comment section of your blog.

Alternatives are understandable if it’s for a few days, but Word Press should also understand that this change from having the reblog button and using alternatives also requires that our readers become accustomed to and understand the change.

• Okay, so now you want Word Press bloggers to carve out time to make sure their content is not being STOLEN when the issue is content being ALTERED because you think copy and paste with a link to the original content is a good alternative to the reblog button?

• Okay, so now you want Word Press bloggers to carve out time to make sure their content is not being STOLEN when the issue is content being ALTERED because you think copy and paste with a link to the original content is a good alternative to the reblog button?

• I understand that the missing Reblog button is creating havoc for many WordPress users. However, can we wait for official WordPress.com team to give us an update on this (as and when they are able to)? We are always at a liberty of using/ not using the alternatives that we are aware of or the ones suggested by other users.

• While awaiting a reblog button fix by Staff, I simply provided the links above as a courtesy for those who have not blogged for over a decade like me, so they are aware of How to Find Out If Your Content Has Been Stolen and How to Search for copies of your page on the web.
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/reblog-button-has-disappeared-from-blogs/page/2?replies=45#post-3076200

I have also visited your site and note that there is very little original content of yours on it. Your posts are primarily comprised of texts reporting content from news sites as well as some opinion.

• Timethief, if your critical assessment was directed to me, I hardly think that you can make an impartial, truthful assessment in just a few moments of visiting a blog that has existed since August 2012. Also, I don’t know about you, but I’m from old school journalism that teaches to use the 5 W’s. When reporting on trials as I do, there is only one way of saying 3 of the 5’s W’s., such as someone’s name. It always sounds the same.

Yes, I always embed links to my sources for where I obtained the information.

I don’t know why you appear to make this into a personal battle. You and I have corresponded previously on issues in forums and this is the first time you’ve come across with unfair criticism.

If Word Press is not going to restore the reblog button, they should say so. If they are still working on restoring it, they should say so. Enough of the alternatives already.

• If Word Press is not going to restore the reblog button, they should say so. If they are still working on restoring it, they should say so. Enough of the alternatives already.

Hi everyone,

We’re aware of the missing Reblog button, and our developers are looking into it. We’ll update here once we have more information.From https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/reblog-button-has-disappeared-from-blogs?replies=48#post-3074696

See also https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/reblog-button-has-disappeared-from-blogs?replies=48#post-3075416and
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/reblog-button-has-disappeared-from-blogs?replies=48#post-3075453

• We’ll update here once we have more information.

I take that to mean you don’t have more information than on day one when this was first reported?

• I understand if the developers have not yet found the answer to the problem of the missing reblog button (although it does seem strange for it to be SO complicated there is no information after almost a week). But if in fact this is the case, it seems to me that an apology would be in order.

Something like, “We are aware of the missing reblog button, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Our developers are working on it.”

I do not see any kind of apology in the above quoted text, and in fact the response to many of the concerned bloggers here seems to be a bit on the condescending/critical side. I really can’t fathom why.

In case the happiness engineers just can’t comprehend why this would be an issue for us, let me sum it up like this:

1. The reblog button is a lot simpler to use and more convenient than manually reblogging or using Press This.

2. The button encourages people to reblog your posts, which brings you more hits and improves your visibility. It’s a good way for new people to discover your blog. I doubt most people will want to bother reblogging your post if they have to go through a bunch of extra steps or manually reblog it. So that will mean many of us will get fewer hits/less visibility.

3. The reblog button ensures no one can edit your content. This isn’t something I worry about personally, but many bloggers do, and I can understand why it would be annoying to have to then go to another site to check if anyone is stealing your posts.

If the developers are working on bringing back the button, that’s great, but why are we being treated like WE are the inconvenience?

• Hey all, just jumping in to say I’m also missing the reblog button (https://jonamdall.com/). I hope it comes back, because I use it to share between my main site and another one. It looks sharp, and the other options just aren’t as good aesthetically.

I’ll keep an eye on the thread, fingers crossed it comes back soon.

• Here’s why I find the Reblog button in the Reader and the PressThis utility superior to the currently AWOL Reblog button found on websites:

The most frequent feedback from community members of the website Reblog button is that it immediately published the reblog to your website when you clicked the button. That didn’t allow you, the reblogger, to preview your post, add your own categories and tags, save your reblog as a draft post, schedule your reblog, add your customized social media messages and whatever other options are available in the Editor.

However, you can do all of those things with the Reader Share/Reblog button and PressThis.

Of course I have no knowledge of the reason for its absence and I could be shooting myself in the foot by hoping that the website Reblog button is currently offline in order to bring it up to par with the Reader Reblog button and PressThis, but I’ll continue to hope that is the reason. Cheers.

• “That didn’t allow you, the reblogger, to preview your post, add your own categories and tags, save your reblog as a draft post, schedule your reblog, add your customized social media messages and whatever other options are available in the Editor.”

When reblogging, there is nothing to preview because the content is not transferred to the text box of the reblogger. On the admin side, I pulled up “Posts” and clicked “quick edit” to the reblogged post. That gives a box for categories and tags.

• Thanks for that. Everyone has their preferred method of working and I can understand the frustration when a tool you’ve used previously suddenly disappears. Community members also posted to the forums with their concerns when the PressThis button was temporarily removed some few months ago.

(FWIW-editing your reblogged post after the fact doesn’t change whatever has already been pushed out by Publicize to your connected social media sites. )

• “(FWIW-editing your reblogged post after the fact doesn’t change whatever has already been pushed out by Publicize to your connected social media sites. ) “

A benefit of the reblog button is that it placed no content in the text book for editing. This was a benefit to bloggers so the content of their post could not be altered.

• Hi all. Just an update. It appears this happened because we removed some deprecated code, i.e. code for a feature that no longer exists, but it seems the reblog button was also using some of that code.

Adding back the deprecated code is not an option, so our developers are working on replacing it with updated code that will allow the button to work again. We’re already testing potential fixes, so hopefully it won’t be too much longer.

• Thanks for the update. Thankfully we will be getting it back rather than it being taken away. It saves me a ton of time reblogging from contributors on my different blobs onto my main blog.

• A benefit of the reblog button is that it placed no content in the text book for editing. This was a benefit to bloggers so the content of their post could not be altered.

@blackbutterfly768
    valid point.

@kokkieh – thanks for that update.

• The topic ‘Reblog button has disappeared from blogs’ is closed to new replies.